• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Can anyone identify these California backyard birds?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Am trying to introduce my 8 year old grandson to using a tripod with a 600 mm Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 on Canon original 18 MP 7D, to try to catch birds.

Didn't being all the parts of my gimbal nut the brave fellow persevered and here are the very first results. These are highly cropped images, ISO 2000 + 1.0 EV the first at 600 mm, the others at ~ 250 mm.

Bird on Wall

Bird with insect

Who can help identify the birds?

Thanks in advance!

I may simply put my 70-200 208L IS II on the GFX instead. I guess I need the gimbal!

Asher

Hi Asher,

Actually, I have a couple suggestions but no 100% on either because the photos are not your best! ;-)
The top one is surely a sparrow, but not sure if it's a white crowned or song sparrow.
The next two seems to be a yellow billed magpie, but again, not positive, but it is a California bird. I'm a little perplexed as the tail
seem to be white. :-]
Maybe if you look these up, you will be able to tell what you saw.
The last one, I have no idea, from underneath.
Again, they may all be wrong but that would be my best guesses

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks, Maggie!

Obviously we need to get all the focal length we can and throw more pixels at the bird!

Asher