• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon EOS 1D Mark III at a Fiestas!

John Maio

pro member
Here's a little slideshow right out of Photo Mechanic. Nothing has been processed/optimized. Highlight Tone Priority was enabled, especially for the white dresses. The event was a Fiestas of the San Flilpe de Neri Church (the 301st) on the Plaza in Old Town Albuquerque, New Mexico

http://johnmaiophotography.biz/fiestas_2007

Enjoy!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks John for sharing all these pictures! I like the news story style. These are great American folk to see. Classic scenes!

Can we link some here?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks John,

Weddings have a pattern. We know the steps. Christening Bar Mitzvas have recognized schedules too.
These events are so organized to be beautiful. Sometimes I consider them "Rent a Chateau" events!

It's always a challenge to deal with cultural events? How do we get the sense and joy people spread out over a large area, like church grounds or a park?

Well, John Maio kindly provided his pictures of a recent Fiesta.

These are my favorites which together show the spirit of the event. I think this is a very difficult eventv to photograph!

http://johnmaiophotography.biz/Fiesta_JPGs/Fiestas_2007_103.jpg

The Church sets the location
Fiestas_2007_046.jpg

The face painting of kids shows it's a family event.

Fiestas_2007_002.jpg

Fiestas_2007_103.jpg

Adults and the dog wait for things to happen

Fiestas_2007_004.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Now the Mariachi Band , a pageant queen (I think) and then the dancers!

Fiestas_2007_030.jpg

Fiestas_2007_071.jpg

Fiestas_2007_063.jpg

So this is an even which tells a story and transmits a feeling which can only be done if the elements are put together, like a moview, with a localizing shot, images of the bystanders, the interesting colorful people, (here literally), and then the particular scheduled highlights.

There is probably more, but we already sense the particular community character of the fiesta and the photographer's effort to take us there. What's missing is the food!

If you have such events, please post your approach too!

Asher