• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon Powershot G12?

Doug Kerr

We are considering acquiring a new camera to operate in the realm between our Canon Powershot SX110 IS and our EOS 40D. Its role would be for fairly serious work where we did not care to carry the EOS rig because of its size and weight, where it would be obtrusive (sitting on the banquet table between shooting forays, etc).

The SX110 IS is a lovely camera, but it falls short in two major ways:

• Its noise performance is not very good for sensitivities above ISO 100, certainly above ISO 200.
• Its onboard flash unit takes a long time to recharge, even for the bursts needed at fairly short range. This is deadly in a common situation: "Smile. <Pop> Oh, Michelle blinked. Let me do that again. Just wait a little while, Mr. President, while my flash unit recharges." And it has no shoe for an external flash. (We like the small Canon Speedlite 270EX in such situations.)

We have somewhat focused on the Canon Powershot G12 as a candidate. Its field of view range will probably suit the preponderance of our work (28-140 mm full-frame 35-mm equivalent).

But we are not limited to Canon machines. We would like something that would go in a large pocket. And probably a flash shoe, and the availability of a compatible small external flash unit, would be needed.

Still, if only through brand and UI inertia, my first interest is in what experience members have had with the G12 (or, in fact with its predecessors the G11 - I understand that performance-wise the -11 and -12 are essentially identical - and the G10).

Asher, I think you have a G10. I'd like to hear your observations on it.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Alain Briot

pro member
Doug,

The G12 will fit the bill based on your description. You can actually scrap the SX110 as there's no good reason to have both. Plus the SX110 doesn't save raw captures

One of the nicest things about Canon's G series is you don't need to clean the sensor because the lens is fixed. No dust comes in. I love mine. It also fits in the glove compartment of my sports cars which is important. The p45 and 1Ds don't!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Alain,

Doug,

The G12 will fit the bill based on your description.

Thanks for the report.

How do you feel about its noise performance at perhaps ISO 400?

I have never seen one, but I will look at one in a shop later today.

Best regards,

Doug

Alain Briot

pro member
High ISO noise levels get better and better as the G series moves forward. The G12 is the best so far. They reduced the pixel count compared to the G10, in order to reduce noise. Still, if you want low noise at high ISO, a G12 isn't the best way to go. It's a compromise.

Clayton Lofgren

The G series are about as good as you can get in the small sensor cameras, but image quality should be much better with something like an Olympus Pen or Sony Nex. Not quite as portable, but a major step up in other ways.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Doug,
I've owned a Canon G through the G11 (but not a G12). As Clayton, and others, have noted these cameras are quite good for small sensors. The articulated screens on the G11/G12 can be a real plus for shooting at non-face levels.

But you should also consider that the G11/12 is just barely a pocket camera. The introduction of the articulated screen made them swell to a point that's generally going to work only in a large jacket pocket. If you want a truly pocketable camera with the same sensor and same Digic processor as the G11/12 look at the Canon S95. Don't let its tiny size fool you; it can do pretty much everything that the G can do. In fact, for the past year it's been my main pocket camera. (I actually recently gave my G11 away...I favor the S90.)

If that size is not an issue, you should consider Clayton's suggestion to look at the Olympus Pen. Larger sensor, better image quality, interchangeable lenses, electronic viewfinder (E-P2, E-PL2), etc. I use an E-P2 for semi-casual work and its simply terrific.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Ken,

Thanks for the scoop.

I've owned a Canon G through the G11 (but not a G12).
I understand the innards of the -12 are about the same as the -11.

But you should also consider that the G11/12 is just barely a pocket camera. The introduction of the articulated screen made them swell to a point that's generally going to work only in a large jacket pocket.
I understated. It isn't really "pocketabilty" that is our need for this - just smaller and lighter than an EOS 450D with an EF-S 18-200 IS aboard.

However, I just came back from Best Buy, where I looked at the machine. It is lovely.

I normally wear "dock pants" with big pockets, and it easily fit in my pocket (along with my wallet, coin purse, and a 12' tape measure - I was going next to Loews for furnace filters!)), although I probably wouldn't want to walk around all the time with it there. It reminds me of many 35 mm compacts of yore.

If you want a truly pocketable camera with the same sensor and same Digic processor as the G11/12 look at the Canon S95. Don't let its tiny size fool you; it can do pretty much everything that the G can do.

Yes, I've heard that is about the same "engine" as the G11/12.

Compared to the G12, it lacks a flash shoe, optical finder, and articulating monitor screen. Its lens has a lower maximum focal length, and a larger aperture at full wide angle, but smaller at full telephoto.

If that size is not an issue, you should consider Clayton's suggestion to look at the Olympus Pen. Larger sensor, better image quality, interchangeable lenses, electronic viewfinder (E-P2, E-PL2), etc. I use an E-P2 for semi-casual work and its simply terrific.
If I were starting over again, I'd be very interested in the Micro Four-Thirds system as my mainstream. And I may even make that transition a little later.

For the moment, my interest here is converging on the G12.

Thanks again for your insights.

Best regards,

Doug

Alain Briot

pro member
Doug,

You can easily carry the G12 in the pocket of a loose pair of jeans. During a recent workshop, a student made the remark that the G12 was "perfect, except too big to carry in pants pockets." To his surprise I pulled mine out of my pants pocket. Ta-da! It was fun.