• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cat Critique

Theo Wallis

Hi

cat.jpg

New here. (I introduced myself in the appropriate place:)) I'd appreciate your comments on this photo please. Do you think the cat's nose should be in focus or is it enough that the eyes are sharp? After all the eyes are what's important.

Many thanks

Theo Wallis

Blown out? What do you mean?

Anyway yes, that was my question... whether or not the nose being in focus would have made it a stronger shot. The background is not the ideal colour either as the cat doesn't stand out against it. It was a very "grabbed" shot. I was cleaning my camera and my our cat just had to see what I was doing. Curiosity hey :)

The cat's expression is great and your capture is good, but it has the quality of a "grabbed" shot. The depth of field leaves everything out of focus except the eyes, the ear is cut off, and the exposure leaves a bit to be desired.

In general the photo has little "punch" to make it more than a quick "snap shot"

Theo Wallis

The nose is still not quite in focus.

I've sharpened the original image at the top of this thread some more and improved the exposure without blowing the highlight on it's nose, but opinions are all very subjective. What might be "right" for one person might not be "right" for another. I do agree I neglected to sharpen the original image enough but i didn't want that over sharpened look.

Last edited: