• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cat in Gray, Black, and White

Mary Bull

244723679_6b5d5ca682.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mary,

This picture can stay up for now! However, it is not up to the standard that I know you can now reach. So please do this again! This should be taken as where we need to go. We all have to be selective, just like the moderators and administrators. However, this, though nice, isn't the excellent image that you should be posting. For reportage of a critical event, this would be great. Who cares abnout the lighting.

The crop is great. It is tight. The right eye might have been included. There's no clutter, one subject which engages. The cat looks at us. All wonderful.

However, the lighting is just too bright. I'm being mean, harsh, tough, but this is not what I think you can post to represent yourself or us here on OPF.

Now everyone don't flame me for attacking a special lady. Tough love is still love!

Asher

Mary Bull

Asher Kelman said:
Mary,
This picture can stay up for now!
No, Asher, go ahead and delete the post.
And our conversation about it, too--I mean, the entire thread.

The sunlight was streaming under the door this morning, and I got that with the G2 on JPEG with flash, one of a series of about 10. The best one showed both eyes, was very satisfying viewed in color, but did not do well in b/w.

This frame I did in focal b/w with Picasa2. Might have been better--hesitated about it--with the filtered b/w. But that made it look fuzzy.

A good adventure gone wrong, I guess.

May I post the best of the frames, two eyes in color?

Please just go ahead and delete this thread.

I appreciate the "tough love."
...the lighting is just too bright.
It was the flash, combined with the very dark door. Really blew out the door and caught a dark shadow of it over the cat. However, only the flash would have "stopped the action," I think. It was a game of "bat the toy mouse back and forth"--a favorite activity.

Mary

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
As always Mary, you are a good friend. Please feel free to send me the images first if you wish.

I'll try to give feedback fast!

You are a good soldier so I can push yo a little.

Put a piece of tissue over the flash or underexpose by -1 EV. Another trick is to have a grey card in the position of the chair. Press the shutter halfway, wait for the right moment and shoot.

The grey card or other non black target will call for less light!

Asher

Mary Bull

Shooting a cat through a crack under the door

Asher Kelman said:
As always Mary, you are a good friend. Please feel free to send me the images first if you wish.
Yes, thank you, I shall do that. A really good idea.
I'll try to give feedback fast!
Thanks.
You are a good soldier so I can push yo a little.

Put a piece of tissue over the flash or underexpose by -1 EV. Another trick is to have a grey card in the position of the chair. Press the shutter halfway, wait for the right moment and shoot.

The grey card or other non black target will call for less light!

You see, Asher, I had set the camera on the floor facing the inch-and-a-half wide space under the door. I sat beside it, but I did not look at view-finder or view-screen.

I would bowl a toy mouse through the crack--just barely through it--and then push the G2 button. Did it about a dozen times, with the camera at varying distances from the door--from 6 to 12 inches away from the crack.

It's a game I've played with Thistle ever since I moved into this old house (built in 1936--marvelous interior architecture, but settled, and very few doors are "tight").

I'll try again in the morning with the tissue over the lens.

But I don't really expect to get anything of the quality of fine art.

Instead, I may try to catch him asleep on the rose-colored throw which I told Nicolas about and shoot him with the camera on a chair, as you suggest.

A decent tripod with a good ball-joint to angle it with is among my contemplated purchases.

Mary

Mary Bull

G2 anatomy

Asher Kelman said:
Not a tissue over the lens, Mary!

Over the flash!
If there's a way to process something incorrectly in my mind, I will find it!
< rueful smile >

Thanks, Asher. I've just looked at the business side of the camera and found the flash. My inattention to the location of the flash area is a good indicator that I lack engineering--or even mechanic's--genes. This is the first time I've ever really looked at what's on the camera's front side.

Still, it's a truism: we learn by doing. I'm on the path to becoming more mechanically inclined, in aid of my artist's inner vision. < happy smile >

Mary