• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Caterpillars

Paul Iddon

One around the geranium, the other on the leycesteria.

Lacanobia oleracea - and Spilosoma lutea (bright-line brown-eye moth and the Buff Ermine moth).

gerancat1_4k_1800-XL.jpg

gerancat4_4k_1800-XL.jpg

gerancat5_4k_1800-XL.jpg

gerancat6_4k_1800-XL.jpg

hairscat2_4k_1800-XL.jpg

hairscat5_4k_1800-XL.jpg

hairscat4_4k_1800-XL.jpg

hairscat3_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Jim Olson

I truly enjoy your macros
I think I'm going to try macro again.
I know that not all lens say MACRO on them but I have one that does.
Maybe you can help me understand something I heard.
Just because it says macro, doesn't really mean it is.
I have a Sigma DC 70-300mm lens that has a normal/macro switch.
Can I really use this for macro?
I have used it before.
Just not sure

Paul Iddon

When zoom lenses have "macro" on them, they are close up zooms effectively, getting you nearer to the subject - but not in the same way as a macro lens does - macro lenses give at least 1:1 coverage - i.e. it's a life-size representation on the sensor. The zoom lens will not give you 1:1, though you could fill the frame if your subject is large enough.

You can fill your frame and the sensor but it would not be a macro image - it would be a close up image.

That said, many images are taken this way to get a macro-like result, but it's not a true macro photo.

HTH.

Paul.

Jim Olson

When zoom lenses have "macro" on them, they are close up zooms effectively, getting you nearer to the subject - but not in the same way as a macro lens does - macro lenses give at least 1:1 coverage - i.e. it's a life-size representation on the sensor. The zoom lens will not give you 1:1, though you could fill the frame if your subject is large enough.

You can fill your frame and the sensor but it would not be a macro image - it would be a close up image.

That said, many images are taken this way to get a macro-like result, but it's not a true macro photo.

HTH.

Paul.
TNX for that info. I was wondering, now I know.
TNX again.