• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

CD Covers

Brandon Jones

Hey all! i am creating a "book" for my digital Photo Class and i had a brilliant idea of taking pictures of musical stuff, like instruments and sheet music... and then pasting them onto atcual CD's. i would then drill a hole into the cd's and string them together with guitar string or a different string thus becoming a book. Now my question... does anyone know how i can get a picture to be the shape of a cd, i tried it in photoshop and it annoyed me, took me 2 hours to do it... there has to be an easier way... any ideas are always welcome. also if you have any ideas on atcual ideas for a "book' of 24 photos i am open to suggestions! El Professor wants them to be creative and not an atcual book, just something unique and since i love music i figured that i could use the CD aspect... i wanted to do something with halloween b/c i am addicted to it, but its hard to take pictures about halloween in the middle of MARCH...

Thanks!!

BJ

P.S... Asher... if you read this , i was unsure as to where to put this thread.. i figured music cause its kinda about music, but also thought that it should go in the photoshop area... idk ..

Dierk Haasis

pro member
I use Illustrator; created a clipping mask containing three circles [outer being the CD's size, two inner rings for different size non-printable areas]. Saved that as a document [preferably write-protected]. From now on I just need to load my photo into this document - makes sense to create one roughly the right size beforehand -, use the clipping mask on it.

You can do the same with InDesign, slightly different process since you do not create clipping masks as such but containers.

Or you can do it in Photoshop, creating a layer mask in the right shape. Shouldn't take longer than one or two minutes [provided PS is already open]. Acquaintance of mine always uses this technique to create simple colour shapes, though newer PS versions can do it much easier [for him].

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Here you are, a quick PS work with layers…
Normally you shouldn't print on the white areas (though the center one may be, depending of the CD/DVD)

Here for download

You may find more, including the plastic box jackets in Adobe Illustrator DVD…

You may also Google for blank CD/DVDs supplers, they often put online PDFs for their clients…

Ray West

Not quite sure of the problem. Plenty of cd label making software. Or is it you want a circular crop? If so, then simply print it square, glue to cd, turn cd over, cut round with craft knife, or similar. Cd material varies wrt drillability - some shatter easily. Use a blunt drill, and melt through. Plastic drills often have a reverse angled cutting edge. It may craze after drilling - like a month or so afterwards.

Best wishes,

Ray