• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cliff maids - Lewisia cotyledon in reflected ultraviolet photography, simulated bee and butterfly vision

Dr Klaus Schmitt

169023835.2mEesh7T.Levisia_VISUVBUBV_P1750717_c.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I wish I could see the reflected UV with my own eyes! It’s so beautiful.

But the color in visible light is unusual and delightful. It looks like a color from the 1950s!

I will have to look them up.

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It’s great to discover that your surprising flower is native to Northern California!

It can grow with water scarcity as it’s a succulent, storing water in its thick leaves and large root.

It has generous clusters of 50 or so blooms.

.......and yes that color is common, various peach, salmon-pink and pink red flowers, even on the same plant!

Wiki: Cliff Maids - Lewisia cotyledon

There’s a taller variant in the Drakensberg mountains in South Africa, that is so sought after that folk hawk illegally harvested seeds. It’s all illegal. One cultivar got to London and was awarded a place in the Royal Horticultural Society’s main exhibition.

Thanks, Klaus for introducing this fairly common exotic beauty to us.

Asher