• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Community Theatre, On-Stage Shots

Rachel Foster

Our local community theatre is putting on "I Hate Hamlet," and asked me to take some "action shots." I had to use the Rebel XTi, and conditions were not optimal but these were two of the best. This is Mr. Michael Negus in the role of Andrew Rally.

Shot from stage left in the wings; ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/100 for both images.

smrally2.jpg

smrally.jpg

I am interested in what's wrong with the images (soft focus and a bit grainy granted) as well as what, if anything, is right with them. Also, post-processing suggestions are welcome.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Rachel,

I like the first one better. But it looks like a studio portrait to me, there is no indication that we are looking at an action on stage. For that we need context, action and more explicit emotions. Just my opinion :).

Cheers,

Rachel Foster

Thanks, Cem, that's true. I am somewhat enchanted with the effect of stage lighting, but need the 5dII and tripod to do it justice I think.

Thanks, Cem, that's true. I am somewhat enchanted with the effect of stage lighting, but need the 5dII and tripod to do it justice I think.

Hi Rachel,

I think that Cem means that the character is too much isolated. It then becomes hard for us to understand the expression/pose without context. Your light is fine.

Here is an example from a play that I shot many moons ago (on Ilford HP5 35mm film):
Play_S.jpg

It shows expression and context (although the full context was a bit too complex for a single shot). I tried a triangular composition, with its base at the left, and it's 'apex' at the womans face, to draw focus there.

Cheers,
Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Rachel,

I think that Cem means that the character is too much isolated. It then becomes hard for us to understand the expression/pose without context. Your light is fine.

Here is an example from a play that I shot many moons ago (on Ilford HP5 35mm film):
Play_S.jpg

It shows expression and context (although the full context was a bit too complex for a single shot). I tried a triangular composition, with its base at the left, and it's 'apex' at the womans face, to draw focus there.

Cheers,
Bart
Exactly Bart, that is what I meant to say. Your picture is a very good example of showing the context and the emotions. Without any explanation, we all would get immediately that it is a theater play we are looking at. I like it.

Cheers,

Mike Shimwell

Exactly Bart, that is what I meant to say. Your picture is a very good example of showing the context and the emotions. Without any explanation, we all would get immediately that it is a theater play we are looking at. I like it.

Cheers,

And great contrast and tonality from that old HP5

Mike

Abhijit Biswas

Hi Rachel,

I like the first one better. Increasing the contrast would enhance the mood. I would also add some negative space on the left. Try converting it to BW and see how it feels.

Abhijit Biswas
www.exposurebits.com

Our local community theatre is putting on "I Hate Hamlet," and asked me to take some "action shots." I had to use the Rebel XTi, and conditions were not optimal but these were two of the best. This is Mr. Michael Negus in the role of Andrew Rally.

Shot from stage left in the wings; ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/100 for both images.

smrally2.jpg

smrally.jpg

I am interested in what's wrong with the images (soft focus and a bit grainy granted) as well as what, if anything, is right with them. Also, post-processing suggestions are welcome.