• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Courtney

Steve Stone

This is a shot of my daughter from today. I used a high pass filter layer in the process. Is this too much of an effect ? This is my first portait using this filter and I'm experimenting.

Thanks...Steve

IMG_0581_copyweb_copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Steve
a nice but intriguing image, what is she looking at? her new boyfriend? a cake? a christmas gift?
It works quite well for me, I like that 1/2 smile in the lips and the eyes.

On the 'negative' I would say that I'd like a some bokeh here, the chair is OK but the door frame in the background would help being completely blurred in the bg…
maybe same for the fore ground with the glass…
an obvoius question of DOF, what lens, speed, camera did you use?

To answer your question re highpass filter, you should post original and processed image side by side so we may comment…

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Steve,

Steve,

Re-post files. You can post what size you need to show the effect. Your previous images size worked fine. If you need to work a little larger, that's fine too.

I don't understand what the loading problem was with a larger file?

I'm interested in your use of the high pass filter and how it changed your image.

Asher

Steve Stone

Thanks Asher. I went back and found this :

Images should follow these specifications:
• You may submit vertical or horizontal photos.
• Must fit within 300 pixels high x 400 pixels wide for horizontal format
• Must fit within 400 pixels high x 300 pixels wide for vertical format
• Color space: sRGB IEC61966-2.1
• 100Kb max
• Sharpened by their author
• Be named: "photographer_pic01", pic02, pic03 i.e. "Nicephore_Niepce_pic01

I found that the filter gives the image a darker, richer tone. I was thinking I may have made it too "orangey" but I like the glow.

nicolas claris

Thanks Asher. I went back and found this :

Images should follow these specifications:
• You may submit vertical or horizontal photos.
• Must fit within 300 pixels high x 400 pixels wide for horizontal format
• Must fit within 400 pixels high x 300 pixels wide for vertical format
• Color space: sRGB IEC61966-2.1
• 100Kb max
• Sharpened by their author
• Be named: "photographer_pic01", pic02, pic03 i.e. "Nicephore_Niepce_pic01

Hi Steve
you're a pretty good reader!
These are old requirements, I'll have to change that! thanks for the reminder!

Now you can reasonnably post up to 900 pix wide (even wider for panos) just be aware that one need to scroll to see all parts of the pics… your choice!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Further, thise speciffications are for contributions to the front page of the website only. We have discussed this before.

Steve, being practical, your first post worked fine.That size works! So do the same. What made you worry about this?

We're happy with your picture! Did someone raise any question?

Nicolas and I will go over the orginal instrucions!

So post away!

Asher

Steve Stone

I questioned myself. The download went smoothly but something went off in my head about the size when I went to post the original so I deleted it. Now I've gone back to repost the image and I can't get the post to edit so I can make the image visible. I think I'll be fine from here on out. I appreciate the quick responses from you folks.

Steve

nicolas claris

I questioned myself. The download went smoothly but something went off in my head about the size when I went to post the original so I deleted it. Now I've gone back to repost the image and I can't get the post to edit so I can make the image visible. I think I'll be fine from here on out. I appreciate the quick responses from you folks.

Steve

Here it is! :)

IMG_0581_origweb.jpg

Happy new year to Courtney!

Barry Johnston

High Pass??

I'm not sure if I should be asking this in another section?

As I am no expert on PP work through PS or any other programs, I am not familiar with High Pass at all, can you explain how this is done? How did you do the vignetting around the edge?

I apologise in advance for the dumb question....

It is a great image with a great effect Steve. Well done!

Regards,
Barry.

Steve Stone

Barry...the high pass filter is used alot for sharpening. I had seen it used somewhere as a layer mode adjustment so I tried it. All I did was duplicate my original layer, changed the blending mode to High Pass and then lowered the opacity to my taste. As far as the edge adjustments, I posted this over in the Sports forum for Nill. If you find my post over there you'll see how I did the burnt edge effect.

Steve

Barry Johnston

Burnt Edge....

Hi Steve,

Many Thanks, I did manage to find the thread. I was also successful in creating my first 'burnt edge' image. It looks fantastic, and I am sure I will be using it frequently from now on.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Barry.