• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Crop? and Where?

Lucas Toliman

Hi -

I'm trying to improve my presentation and often am undecided about cropping.

Would you crop this just above the Hindu script, crop out the figure on the right or ?
India%20January%202008%20043.jpg

In this one would you crop a little on the right, all or part of the boy on the left or ?
DSC_0036-1.jpg

Thanks for your suggestions.
Lucas

Rachel Foster

Welcome to OPF, Lucas.

Cropping is one of the toughest parts of photography for me. I'll be watching your thread with interest!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You asked two entirely subordinate questions to the real question: Why?

Ken's question so relevant!

In many cases, well crafted borders are needed to help out the balance of a picture. These, however, are travel images and the subjects DEMAND attention. What you show is hardly ordinary. You could split the second picture in two I'd look at both halves!

Distribution of importance is part of the art of photography. You already have made such a big step in deciding what not to snap at and what to include that so, Lucas, you're really far ahead of the game. The subjects speak for themselves.

There are however a number of ways I'd consider presentation of the image and some can be solved in the camera. However each of these is a stratagem to an effect and not a rule. For example, you could use a wider aperture such as f2.0 and throw out of focus everything but the subject. Well that might be great for a portrait but who says it will put into a picture what's in your mind. You might want to show the writing on the wall or potholes in the road or lack of trees.

So it starts not with how to make the picture more important but with how you see things, your point of view and what you want to get out of the scene.

I wont get into what you ask, framing just yet, since if I had a choice, I'd want more not less of the background and I like the pictures as they are, informal and honest with a feeling of your thrill at taking them.

Asher