• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Curvaceous Audrey Rose, nude, touching something red

nude-model-01.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A.K.,

I like the picture. It's immediately attractive and one is drawn in. The questions come up then and they are almost all fixable. Since you haven't described any end purpose for your picture, I shall assume it's to be something of beauty and fun, not necessarily for sale, with no other needs to accomplish.

You start off fortunate! You're investing effort collaborating with Audrey, a comely young model. She's worth working with long term as then you will be rewarded so well with perfectly wonderful pictures. She has the curves to go with your concept. Also she's feminine but not brassy. I like the simplicity of the single color of red in the drapes. Even though this is just an iMac I'm using, the color looks good but I'll check. I have questions.

nude-model-01.jpg

You have avoided the great trap a lot of us fall into, that of over doing makeup and hair. Have you decided to have little to no make up at all? That's what Learoyd does very strictly and that prevents a picture from being dated by any particular given "modern" look.

Crumpled cloth seems to work when it's entirely that way and when there are layers. A drape that has creases from previous folds and crumples might need to be evaluated. Is this what you want?

Another aspect is the relationship of audrey's body to the cloth. One can have it conceal part of her, then it should be substantial like her entire legs, just covering her pubis or perhaps one thigh, doing the same, or maybe draped to one side of her body.

However, here it just hides the ends of her feet, giving an impression of entanglement and an overlooked detail, perhaps. Remember, that any point that I make, can be entirely mistaken if it contradicts your own vision. If that's the case, it's then my job to catch up with what you project in the image.

The lighting on her body is effective and her right breast is well described with highlights and rolling of shading, but what about her left breast and her face and a sparkle of life in her eyes. Also, likely, the linear shadow on her right side isn't. My practice is to print such a picture and then mark it up with a crayon with arrows and exclamation marks, circling areas that could be modified. Her hair, for example is back lit but the edges are either blown out or else have been cleaned up with losses.

Again, all these fussy questions could be unreasonable expectations based on my own narrow taste and preferences of what defines beauty. So only accept that if it is synchronous with your own ideas. In any case, a retoucher can dispense of all these issues, except the hidden feet, with just 20 minutes of work in Photoshop.

So, is she available for further work with you. It would be really worthwhile and I'd love to see further pictures.

Asher

BTW, sharing the lighting could be helpful in giving feedback here.

Asher Kelman

I'd like some other critique to see if we can address the nude in a way that deals with the practical aspects of lighting and posing. This is the hardest portraiture to pull off well as we are dealing with beauty more than character or other motivations.

If one can light a curvaceous woman and a bowl of fruit perfectly, then one can light anything.

Asher

Asher: Thanks for the feedback. Sorry for the delay in replying. The hidden hands and feet don't bother me because of the feeling of envelopment.

I don't know if I'll work with her again as we're on opposite coasts, but I plan a move out west when possible, so it might happen.

I usually ask my models to go light on the makeup, we can always add more. If they need a ton of makeup to look good, I'm not sure they fit my vision.

The shadows cast by the fabric could probably been used to greater effect. I'd like to see her interacting more with the fabric (visually)

Asher Kelman

Asher: Thanks for the feedback. Sorry for the delay in replying. The hidden hands and feet don't bother me because of the feeling of envelopment.

I don't know if I'll work with her again as we're on opposite coasts, but I plan a move out west when possible, so it might happen.

I usually ask my models to go light on the makeup, we can always add more. If they need a ton of makeup to look good, I'm not sure they fit my vision.

The shadows cast by the fabric could probably been used to greater effect. I'd like to see her interacting more with the fabric (visually)

I think you're right that she could be more involved with the fabric. She has a great form and color works well with her and this mass of red! What else did you get from that session?

Asher

Rachel Foster

"If one can light a curvaceous woman and a bowl of fruit perfectly, then one can light anything."

The grouping of a woman with a bowl of fruit was deliciously.....unexpected, possibly not without merit, and so charmingly unselfconscious that I enjoyed it tremendously. Thank you, Asher. I loved it.

Asher Kelman

I like the one of her pulling the red cloth behind her. Effective! I'm wondering what lighting are you using. Sometimes the shadows seem hard. Are the lights at a distance or small?

Asher

I like the one of her pulling the red cloth behind her. Effective! I'm wondering what lighting are you using. Sometimes the shadows seem hard. Are the lights at a distance or small?

Asher

This was a borrowed studio, about 2,000 miles from home. I couldn't move the lights, shoot the model, and put them back in the time I had. The lights were small (2x3 foot soft boxes) for such a large area.