• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Different Type of Still Life

Rachel Foster

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. It is interesting but fails to take my breath away. Suggestions?

ISO 3200 (tripod was too constraining), f/4.0, 1/250.

smallleavesstilllife.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm not sure how I feel about this one. It is interesting but fails to take my breath away. Suggestions?

ISO 3200 (tripod was too constraining), f/4.0, 1/250.

smallleavesstilllife.jpg

Hi Rachel,

First the use of your name on the lower right for an symmetrically placed twig on black is a compositional conundrum! Are you making your name-tag part of the balance of the picture? For sure, that text cannot be ignored and perturbs the black space, making it no longer empty! So now do we judge the image of the twig plus the text in the black-space as your picture?

I don't think that's your intent. I think you may have to so as Cem sometimes does, add a white border and put your name there. For security, having your name on a black background is not the slightest barrier to it being stolen as it's so easy to clone it out! So why put it there?

Make sure your name is in the IPTC file attached to the jpg. Do this in Photoshop under File-Info. At present EXIF data on the shot is faithfully there but no authorship and © claim.

Asher

Asher Kelman

If I imagine the text is not there, I thing the whole placement of the twig on black space might be re-examined. Do you perhaps need to add black space anywhere else to put the twig in the most powerful position? Should it be rotated? Or perhaps even central?

In any case, the top green leaves are poorly revealed. Is that what you have chosen to show or that's how the picture happened to come out. I'm not saying it's not right as it is, but to me at least, you have not shown the leaves well as could be.

Asher

Rachel Foster

The idea was to show the red as the focal point and the green as a sort of counterweight: "This is where the leaves started, this is what they have become." But it seems to sort of but not quite work.

Wendy Thurman

Rachel-

I, too, prefer the diagonal. Perhaps a bit tighter crop?

As regards Asher's copyright suggestions- what I have taken to doing (when I don't forget) is add the copyright tags to the metadata with Adobe Bridge when making jpegs. I don't know if that can be removed or not...

Wendy

Asher Kelman

Rachel-

I, too, prefer the diagonal. Perhaps a bit tighter crop?

As regards Asher's copyright suggestions- what I have taken to doing (when I don't forget) is add the copyright tags to the metadata with Adobe Bridge when making jpegs. I don't know if that can be removed or not...
The point is that a corporate user with deep pockets cannot claim that the picture was in the public domain if a search will bring up that image and it's clearly written that your retain the rights. When there is no such statement, the picture might seem like an orphan. If kids take your picture, what can they profit? Not much. However, if it's used in some marketing campaign, then you have rights for compensation more than if they had licensed the image in the first place.

Of course, the image can have the EXIF and IPTC code stripped and given a new title and then it might become no longer searchable. However, it would not be in the public domain, as far as I understand if the image had been properly marked with © in the IPTC file. It would be interesting to know if anyone has information to the contrary.

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned

Rachel I liked it better when it was more straight.But thats just me and i'm sure i'm alone in that...

Rachel I liked it better when it was more straight.But thats just me and i'm sure i'm alone in that...
Actually I like the straighter version also.. Worse yet -- On this particular shot.. I would make it straight as possible. Generally I would like the diagonal one, but this branch needs to be straight up and down.. :)

Asher Kelman

Actually I like the straighter version also.. Worse yet -- On this particular shot.. I would make it straight as possible. Generally I would like the diagonal one, but this branch needs to be straight up and down.. :)
Yes, but how will your version look? What about the distribution of black space?

Asher

Something like this.. Since I was working with Rachael's image, I just rotated it a little.. the branch ends up where I would want it with this crop. about 2 widths of the branch from the left 1/3 line. I lost a little of the bottom leaf, but this is just an example. As far a printing and display.. I would probably go with a gallery wrap. no frame,.. needs a little more canvas size.. I would want the visible part to be about what you see now, maybe a tiny more space top and bottom, and just black on the wrapped over part. For me it makes a very simple image.
118646091.jpg