• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Discussion & Image - "Negative Space"

Michael Brown

Thanks guys, ........ got the image to come through!

I have been involved in some wonderful discussions before over at NatureScapes on the subject of "negative space", and how it is sometimes used.
Those who know me well, know that I enjoy shooting wide open with my lens settings, to use selective focusing methods, to sometimes use "funky crops" with my compositions, ... etc.
The use of negative space seems to come up most often, and with interesting thoughts all across the board.

I just shot this image the other day while sitting deep within the huge canopy of a Japanese Red Maple tree, and shooting outwards towards the light.
My question is, ... what about the use of negative space across the middle of this image?
Or, ... would you even consider this image to have negative space?

4550406-lg.jpg

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Daniel Harrison

pro member
Well, I think this perticular photo has more emphasis on the abstract. For instance I could have thought that the green was water, and studied the details and reflections in it. The leaves are mostly OOF and the image comes across as a water colour look to it as well. I do not think a cropped version would look better in this circumstance, as it would only leave me with some OOF leaves, which I would not enjoy. But in this image the "negative space" holds over half the interest for me. So in this circumstance it works.

The only time negative space detracts from an image is when it takes interst away or detracts from the subject. The first compositional rule that is taught is fill the frame. Beacuse at that point the photographers are taking emphasis away from the image. Then we go intothe rule of thirds leading lines repition etc. And when you have had practice you tend to not follow "fil the frame" so riligiously because you learn to use other elements to ADD emphasis to your subject. Which is the whole point.

my 2c

Ray West

Hi Michael,

In the reply box, on fifth icon in from the right (looks like an envelope with a stamp - 'insert image' then when the window opens paste in the url. The hover help on the icons seems to stay on, until you click off an icon, so its easy to select the wrong icon, if you go by the hover. However, you have not posted the image location - it ends in .jpg in you case - right click on your image, you've sent the photo.net page instead.

Best wishes,

Ray

Mike Spinak

pro member
Hi, Michael,

I thought you could get the image to show directly within this post here if you had the link to that image at Photo.Net.?

You can if you are a paying member of photo.net, but cannot, otherwise.

question is, ... what about the use of negative space across the middle of this image?

I like your maple leaf picture. The middle of the picture works successfully, in my view. So, if you consider the middle of the picture to be negative space, then I'd say your usage of negative space was successful.

The term "negative space" has always slightly rankled me. The areas around my subjects are, in their own right, integral parts of the composition that were duly considered and actively chosen; they are not simply areas left free of the subject(s) that occupy other parts of the picture. I can tell that your pictures are carefully crafted, and I think the same applies to your pictures.

Mike

Michael Brown

Thanks guys!

And Mike, ... that term "negative space" has always had my eyes rolling a bit also but it seems to be the norm in most forums. : )
I do like those open spaces within a image that seem to be a bit seperate from the main subject, ... and maybe a subject on their own.
It can easily give the viewer much more to think about and to study.

Anyway, just wanted to post something that maybe we could talk about instead of a image for display.
Although, I just may have those too! : )

Thanks again guys!