• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Do You Really Want Your Own Style?

Michael Brown

I wrote this short piece back in December, 2005.
"Do You Really Want Your Own Style?"

This brain of mine has been churning the past couple of days, and I simply have been trying to figure some things out!
Someone wrote me last night about the style that I have now and how it has developed over the past few years.
It got me to thinking about what has happened with my so called "style".

So first, the questions go for you, ..... "now what?"
If you have a certain style, ... are you sticking with it?
Do you get a bit tired of it and move on to something else after so many years.
If you have a style that others have enjoyed, ... have you noticed the interest in them to fade after so many years?
If your style is boring even you, ... but your clients still love it, ... which comes first?

Again, these are simply some things running through my head that I am trying to get a handle on.

Another question that keeps popping into my head is this.
Art buyers & clients have approached me in the past with particular needs or a certain vision, reason being is because they like my style.
So I shoot it, and they jump on it.
What did I just do?
I ask myself the question, "did I just create a piece that is really not my own vision/style?"
After all, ... it was "their" vision, ........ right?

Have I made absolutely any kind of sense at all here? :)
My mind is suddenly getting a bit funky on this and trying to figure out if my style is gradually changing without me really noticing.

Maybe what I really need, is to go drink a couple of Coronas and to fart a couple of times, and that would help to clear my head up!!
And yes, ..... I "AM" the father of that baby!

i need a hug!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You ask Michael whether on can go back to a style one has left behind for money?

Well when a PH.D. in chemistry works for a cosmetic firm, that's probably the same pain. However, we often have to work and do things we'd rather not.

That's what separates most work from leisure. In leisure times we do what we wish.

One can't be a dancer and not dance!

Asher