• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Door to...

Mike Shimwell

3501704029_0438e6dfee_o.jpg

Fun, critique and challenge for all. The key to this one is that the doorway must lead somewhere - this time is not about the texture in the paint:)

Mike

Edited to say shot with my Zeiss Ikon, Biogon 35 and Portra 160.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mike,

Interestingly, the lighting gives the illusion to me that the building is slanted clockwise. Could be multiple rotations in different axes. The window shows some perspectve distortion, I think.

This may not be in fact anything more than an effect of lighting and the interplay of the concentric arches in the doorway and the perspective. Still verticals should be true.

Thanks for sharing. Goes well with and complements Cem's recent work on portals.

Asher

Was the church open for some evening event? The buildings of churches are constructed to last many lifetimes. The path in there is to a solid large room but there is no further revelation on this earth. Paths lead somewhere. This one leads into a stone vault. It's a powerful feeling that the stone and the arched portal provides.

Mike Shimwell

Hi Asher, Yes there was an evening meeting of some sort going on. The church building is across the road from our house and I had thought of shooting the door during the evening over a few weeks. This night I took the time to take my camera when I walked the dog so I could use the opportunity.

As you say, the door lead to a stone room or vault - but as you also intimate, the nature of the building carries some hope of revelation or a path ultimately leading beyond this world. It is this tension that I was aware of when I made the image and I agree the stone and the light coming out of the arched portal does create a powerful feeling.

Mike