• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Downstream Escher

Hi all,

I wanted to share a photograph that has been the culmination of a long journey in my photographic adventures. It's a significant composition to me, and the fruits of many (many) experiments with ultra-wide-angle lenses and black and white processing. This photo can only fully be appreciated as the large print on rich, thick, matte paper that it is, but I believe that the essence is conveyed:

Downstream Escher
9480778166_32e0fcd983_o.jpg

The title refers to the great artist who used overlapping diagonal shapes to mess with our perception of what is up or down, in front of or behind. Of works that, at a glance, appear normal, but upon deeper inspection, can't possible be right.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi all,

I wanted to share a photograph that has been the culmination of a long journey in my photographic adventures. It's a significant composition to me, and the fruits of many (many) experiments with ultra-wide-angle lenses and black and white processing. This photo can only fully be appreciated as the large print on rich, thick, matte paper that it is, but I believe that the essence is conveyed:

Downstream Escher
9480778166_32e0fcd983_o.jpg

The title refers to the great artist who used overlapping diagonal shapes to mess with our perception of what is up or down, in front of or behind. Of works that, at a glance, appear normal, but upon deeper inspection, can't possible be right.

Round dark masses get us to stare and fix our vision for a while. In this picture, that round mass is what gets our attention and then the tree to the left so, as you point out, we have no idea we are being fooled.

Escher is one of my favorite artists! I too have tried my hand at picture construction in homage to his stellar work. However, that's in color and your work is in B&W and rises to a higher standard!

My own work is in color and I'm not sure would work in B&W. But I'll check.

Asher