• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

dropping in for lunch

i was prowling around the shore of a marsh near the University of Washington, when i heard a "plop" behind me. i turned just in time to see a kingfisher rising out of the water with his lunch. apparently, though, he lost his grip and the fish fell back into the water. by the time i got my camera up and focused, he was on his way back down to retrieve it... it's a little hard to tell what parts are where, but it's pretty clear where the pointy bits are headed!

IMG_2440sm.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Western Blue Bird: Fast food!

This bird and it's mate appear on and off around my home. They generally hop around for a while. Here this was a rushed meal!

_I6E2192_WesternBlueBird_fastfood4OPF.jpg

3 Shots combined in layers in CS2 with the lighting added using masks correcting saturation for shadows in the process. Then unsharp mask and blend back to the orignial composite.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Don,

Those 3 words are valued expecially from you! For those interested in detail, the shots were taken with a 1DII at f4.0, 195mm with a 70-200 2.8 L IS at 1/2656 sec. I almost never use shutter priority, just AV or manual. Perhaps with birds one should?

Asher

FWIW, I shoot in Manual Exposure mode 95% + of the time, or basically whenever it is practical. This gives me more precise control, and makes me much more aware of all of my settings. Fewer surprises later on.

The only time I can't or don't is if my subject is quickly going from one lighting condition that is dramatically different from another - for example, in and out of deep shade. Or if the sky has rapidly moving clouds, so that the ambient exposure is changing by a couple of stops with no warning. Even them, I'll sometimes try to use Manual Exposure, mentally noting what settings I need for each set of conditions, and trying to quickly dial them in or out as conditions change.