• Guide: Pictures are the best way of describing what is for sale. Please describe any nicks, defects, missing parts and if a lens or camera, source and serial number, if available.

The recycling of unused gear helps this community! Good luck!
  • This forum is for contributors with a track record of substantial posts on phottography. Post such as "great picture" don't count. We routinely soft-delete "for sale" posts from those who have not, as yet, really participated as described above.
  • Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

EPSON 9600 Printer

It worked fine the last time I used it, but that's been nearly two years ago. I suspect nozzle cleaning is the least that will be needed, but probably new ink.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It worked fine the last time I used it, but that's been nearly two years ago. I suspect nozzle cleaning is the least that will be needed, but probably new ink.

If anyone here buys thus, Will Thompson is an expert in getting them to run! In most uses, the later models are not going to produce pictures that the average person would find any noticeable difference. So to me such a price is a good bargain, especially if there's paper too.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

It's a damn good printer....

Wish I had a proper space of my own, and wish I lived near SD.
It would be already sold :)

just a thought about printing:
I've always been fascinated by that:
http://www.cjcom.net/articles/carbonink.htm
I wish someday I could have a sort of 1 week apprenticeship with someone who masters.

Nothing to do with the original post though :)

This feels a bit akin to 'giclee' to me. A way to give credence to inkjet prints. I know that there are aftermarket inksets out there, but the black and grey inks in epson, canon and HP printers are carbon too (I suspect.)

I htink there are a couple of areas that are difficult in learning to make really good prints. One is seeing enough to know what you can and shoulld be able to achieve - if you believed that the stuff that comes from the minilab these days is a good print then you'll set your sights very low. The other is knowing what you want to present and then how to get there. That's a whole different journey, but can be informed by the first.

Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I think there are a couple of areas that are difficult in learning to make really good prints. One is seeing enough to know what you can and shoulld be able to achieve - if you believed that the stuff that comes from the minilab these days is a good print then you'll set your sights very low. The other is knowing what you want to present and then how to get there. That's a whole different journey, but can be informed by the first.

Mike,

Not to hijack this thread, (and we can simply move these comments), the 9600 is one of the most versatile tools at the disposal of an artist. It's as good as the person using it. For little work on the photographer's part, the print will be impressive and even jaw-dropping because of the great colors and saturation sometimes beyond what's possible with average silver chemistry.

Then, just as in the use of a professional camera, if the photographer understands what his photograph is capable of showing and has an esthetic sense then the 9600 will deliver not just "wow" but also depth and subtly.

For $300 and the bother cleaning the tubing, a bother, but routine, this, to my mind is an excellent bargain.

Asher

For $300 and the bother cleaning the tubing, a bother, but routine, this, to my mind is an excellent bargain.

It's really a bargain and the bothering is quite minimal...
I love to see the printer going slowly.
Some people regret the times when the image used to appear slowly in the chemical bath.
but now with inkjets printer you have that chance to see that even for colour print. The angst of the photographer, knelled on front of the printer, a bit like a worship of ancient and obscure god. Will it be good? 6, 10 minutes to wait and then carefully taking the paper by the edges, like if it was the weakest new born in the world.

This is the kind of ritual I like... :)

Mike Shimwell

Mike,

Not to hijack this thread, (and we can simply move these comments), the 9600 is one of the most versatile tools at the disposal of an artist. It's as good as the person using it. For little work on the photographer's part, the print will be impressive and even jaw-dropping because of the great colors and saturation sometimes beyond what's possible with average silver chemistry.

Then, just as in the use of a professional camera, if the photographer understands what his photograph is capable of showing and has an esthetic sense then the 9600 will deliver not just "wow" but also depth and subtly.

Asher

Hi Asher

My comment was directed at the 'carbon print' commentary on the website Sandrine linked, not at the printer. The 9600 is a fine machine - as are all the recent large format printers from Epson, Canon and HP. As such, there's no need to apologise for using them or to suggest htat they are something they're not.

As to the ease of making a good print - well yes, if you are well profiled (almost too easy with the HP) then the print will be impressive. My second point was that there is a process of learning both what is possible and what you want to achieve. A simple example would be the use of local contrast enhancement techniques. They can add pop to an image very easily, but sometimes you need a bit less!

Mike

Epson 9600

The printer is still for sale and I have arrived in Scottsdale (where the printer lives) and am available to show it. Feel free to call me at 480 459-5974.