• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Epson UK Service experience

Greetings,

I am sharing my experience with Epson UK here to make people aware of potential pitfalls when it comes to professional services and contracts. FWIW! For good reasons, I will state only facts without personal comments, but those of you who know me, well, you can imagine my comments beyond doubts.

End of June:I contact Epson Uk and ask for service options on my purchase of 11880 and 3800. I am told that a complete service can be obtained to setup this monster and ensure everything is working propperly, in addition a "Training day" is offered. He send me a quotation.

Naturally, I research alternatives myself and talk to EPSON Irland (Literally a one man band) He suggests to call a company called Equinox. I contact them and told them that I wish to get a quotation for Installation and Training to compare with Epson direct. The Lady tells me that she will not quote me if I am not telling her what price Epson gave me!

3rd of July:I negotiated and purchased a package comprising "cover plus" 3 years extended warranty, installation and training. The purchase has been made by Visa at Epson UK direct. We agreed that Installation and Training has to happen on two seperate days!

15th of July:Both printers, 11880 and 3800 are delivered. Well, they dropped the palette in front of the house and left it there. We talk about a box with a net weight of 235 Kilogram!

I forwarded the serial numbers to Epson UK to activate the cover plus and arrange the installation day.

18th of July:Epson outsources Installation and Training to a company called Equinox, yes, the same company I talked to about a quotation before. We agreed on July 25th @10AM for the Installation to be performed.

24th of July:I am in Dublin the whole day. So, 24 hours before the scheduled installation is supposed to happen, Karen takes a call from Epson. - She is very accurate in her descriptions of events and situations I might add. - She described the caller as extremly arrogant and snotty, "advising" her that the installation of the printer will not include the setting up of the maschine on it's stand. This would have to be performed by us for Insurance reasons, and contrary to the initial agreement, the training day has to happen on the same day.

I quote from Epson UK:

Installation:
- Unpacking
- Setup
- Configuration
- Testing
- Removal and disposal of Packaging

25th of July:Naturally, I send an email to Epson first thing in the morning, quoting their very own description of services and stating that:

The above description concerning Installation is EPSON's very own legal description and leaves no doubts or room for interpretation on the services to be performed.

Further, I did not receive ANY legal document on the contract of 3 years extended warranty purchased on 3rd of July, hence I also stated that:

Today, 25.07.2008, I still have not received my legal documentation. You advised me on the phone that the cover plus has been activated for Oceanviewstudio on the day I informed you about the serial Numbers of the maschines to be covered. I refer to my email from Tue 15/07/2008 6:04 PM. Hence it is my understanding that Cover Plus has been activated since 16.07.2008. Kindly consider the legal documentation to be forwarded to Oceanviewstudio as a matter of urgency.

15 Minutes after I send this mail, Epson calls. I ask whether he was the one who called here yesterday and informed Karen on the "moving of goal posts" concerning our contract. He confirms it was himself who made this call.

So I asked him why Epson would refuse to put the printer up on it's stand, as this physical installation would have been payed for by me. Epson recommends no less than four people to perform this setup due to the weight of the maschine.

He now claims he never would have said anything like that.

I ask for clarification, and he states that they will put the printer on the stand, but only exactly where it is a the moment, not an inch away from it. Well, In the Hallway that is! They refuse to install the printer in the printing room allocated for that, a total distance of 4 meters. He again states the training day has to happen on the same day.

I listen to this and let him finish, and I inform him that Epson is in breach of contract and that I consider legal action through my solicitors in London right away. I also inform him that I will give them one more chance to solve this and ask for his manager to call me. He puts me on hold to talk to his manager, comes back 2 minutes later and states that he is sorry, but this would be the way it is.

I keep my calm, and inform him about legal steps that I will undertake, including all financial damages caused by this breach of contract. He then suggest himself that a manager calls me back. I agree and await a call.

30 minutes later, the very same person calls, not a manager, and informs me that we go ahead as planned. that they will setup the maschine in the designated room, but the training day still has to happen on the same day. Reluctantly I agreed. He states that he will confirm the time and date, I insisted on the following Monday, 28th of July, per email before close of business. No email arrives. I contact Equinox to confirm the Installation. They inform me that they will not arrive before 12:00 Noon.

I now question the "Training Day" sold to me. If they arrive here around Noon, and perform the Installation, this clearly does not leave sufficient time for a training day within normal business hours.

As for the legal documentation on the 3 years extended warranty I received another email stating that:

I have registered you Cover+ Warranty's details below

Stylus Pro 3800: xxxxxxxxxxxx Warranty end date 15/07/2011
Stylus Pro 11880: xxxxxxxxxxx Warranty end date 15/07/2011

Please use this email for proof of Cover+ for the above unit.

Well Folks, I can only warn anyone reading this here to accept such an eamil as a legal document, it is NOT!

For now, I decided I will contact Epson UK's MD Nick Butler myself on Monday and see what he has to say on the above described experience.

...tbc...

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
I would send everything back and get a full refund!

If they can not get it right when selling it new you will never get any warranty coverage let alone extended coverage.

Try Canon!

Michael Fontana

pro member
yep George

sadly it has become kinda normal that a client needs a lawyer, when going and spending money; lots of companies cut back anything which is client/user-related, apart from the selling desk.

yep George

sadly it has become kinda normal that a client needs a lawyer, when going and spending money; lots of companies cut back anything which is client/user-related, apart from the selling desk.

You are right Michael. I frequently speak with people on board level responsible for globally operating enterprises. It is true, they do cut corners now in quality management and service.

I would send everything back and get a full refund!

If they can not get it right when selling it new you will never get any warranty coverage let alone extended coverage.

Try Canon!

Well, I chose the particular printers for good reasons. Thanks Will, but like Michael, I am confident that you will experience similiar regardless where yo go.

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Well, I chose the particular printers for good reasons.

No wonder Epson can run over you - they know you don't give yourself another choice. and then, you gave in, instead of letting them carry the burden [just by sticking to the agrred upon contract].

I am not much for prophecies but let me get this one out: They'll do it again, next time you buy from them. Tough luck ...

Hi Georg

Hope you get this sorted out soon, you sounded so frustrated yesterday, let us know what happens.....

No worries, I flippin will get this mess sorted, you betcha! :)

What a day! LOLOLOLOL

At 12 AM Noon the Installation chaps were supposed to be here.

Last night, Karen's daughter arrived because her kitchen was supposed to be delivered today. This morning I went to measure all bathroom spaces for tiles and stuff and we chatted about floor and tile options. Not that I would have been busy reporting my complaint to the headoffice, no no! LOL

So Rachel was sorted at around 9:30 and I continued writing my report to Nick Butler, after another 20 lines or so, Karen returns and tells me that she had an accident in the Jeep, the whole left wing is ****ed. Of course she was very upset, so we had to deal with insurance, repair service and so on.

So Karen was sorted and I continued my report when Cancom rang to let me know that there is a problem with the Spectraview I ordered and of course, another problem with the APC power supplies. Thanks, I needed that. Hehehehe!

I decided to %^*($ that and went for a quick shower, while in there the phone rings and doesn;t stop, after 30 rings I stumble naked through the house to pick it up and guess what, an unsolicited sales call from SKY satellite. - Well, he got an earfull! LOL -

So I finish my complaint doc and call Nick Bulter's PA who is very understanding and gets the drift in no time, promises to escalate right away, and in deed, less than an hour later a manager calls, and we agreed to discuss that in the morning because in the meantime the Installation chaps arrived.

They were on the road since 6 AM to come here and looked pretty stressed. Although they have offices in the North of Ireland, only an hour drive, for some reason they send someone from Dublin. <shrugs> The chap copuld not install the driver and was farting around for 20 minutes or so when I just had enough of that and took over myself, assigned the IP adress manually and 5 minutes later the shaggin thing was installed.

Bottom line, the printer now is where it is supposed to be, up and running, and I made my first test prints from my MBP via Lightroom and .... WOW!... is all I can say for now. <big grin>

By now I am absolutely wrecked. LOL Tomorrow the remaining Mac gear arrives, fingers crossed.

Michael Fontana

pro member
oh boy
icon11.gif

tomorrow, I'm keeping my legs crossed for you, George!

Good luck!

No worries, I flippin will get this mess sorted, you betcha! :)

What a day! LOLOLOLOL

[...]

Bottom line, the printer now is where it is supposed to be, up and running, and I made my first test prints from my MBP via Lightroom and .... WOW!... is all I can say for now. <big grin>

By now I am absolutely wrecked. LOL Tomorrow the remaining Mac gear arrives, fingers crossed.

Hi Georg,

Glad that Karen was not hurt (shaken, not hurt ;-)), cars are easier to fix.
I can offer only moral support, and FWIW you have mine. I hope you get some sort of compensation from Epson, and I hope the other issues get ironed out for a smooth(er) ride going forwards.

Bart

janet Smith

pro member

Phew, thank goodness for that, fingers crossed here too that all goes well today.......

Sorted!

I am happy to report that the whole shebang has been solved in a pleasant and very professional manner to my 100% satisfaction.

It just needed to be highlighted to the right people to understand that this is an opportunity for improvement of procedures and services.

Brilliant! :)