• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Erik Jonas 3

Rachel Foster

Erik Jonas 3

erik3.jpg

ErikJonas

Banned

The Winter barn sceen...Thats a 2007 image...I had someone ask if it was a B/W that i just colored the barn...No lol i dont even know how to do that!!!...All i do to a image is adjust the light etc etc...Nothing more then whats done to a negative in a dark room....That barn can be found off the Sultan Start-Up road which is off Highway 2 on the way to Stevens Pass.....After i took this shot i heard this loud noise, looked up an a snow plow was coming!!!!....I ran lol....I was standing right on the side of the road to get that shot.

The Winter barn sceen...Thats a 2007 image...I had someone ask if it was a B/W that i just colored the barn...

Hi Erik,

The interesting thing about the image is that the supposed desaturated/colorized appearance presented itself in nature, because of the snowfall. The thing I would have done different is adding a bit more definition to the snow in the foreground, to reduce a sensation of a non level surface (which focuses attention where the attention should not be).

Cheers,
Bart

ErikJonas

Banned

Bart wait...How do you add definition to the snow?....I point,compose,adjust and take the shot.Load it to Elements, a copy of the original file, adjust the light and contrast,shadows and thats it...Picture...It would have to be snowing pretty hard to get the snow to show up real good...

And...Since theres no emotion in the above comment of mine and some might read that as defensive its not...Its questioning and explaining.....Barts a pretty good guy an i know hes trying to help me and not it a pseudo-rhetorical kind of way.....

Bart wait...How do you add definition to the snow?....I point,compose,adjust and take the shot.Load it to Elements, a copy of the original file, adjust the light and contrast,shadows and thats it...Picture...It would have to be snowing pretty hard to get the snow to show up real good...

Hi Erik,

The snow on the foreground can perhaps be given more definition by using a highlight recovery, but I don't know if Elements offers that functionality. If not, and I hope you do shoot Raw, then you can make 2 conversions from the same Raw file. One of them is developed as an underexposed version, thus with more detail in the white snow on the ground. Since both conversions originated from the same source file, the remaining task is to layer the 2 versions (they will be perfectly aligned), and combine the best parts from both. Recent versions of Elements allow the use of layers if I'm not mistaken, so that would probably be the way to accomplish it.

Cheers,
Bart

Sandra Jones

It's a nice shot and the snow falling gives it an etched look. When I first saw it though, as Bart says, it looked like the horizon was off kilter until I realized it is the fg snow line. I hope you take his suggestion and rework it.

fahim mohammed

I like this one. has a painterly effect not unlike Pieter the elder's paintings. Rather than almost white, I think Bart means that some texture/color in the snow would add more to this excellent effort.

Regards.

ErikJonas

Banned

Thanks to everyone on the input...Bart...Thats more editing then i do to my images...My images are just basics on the editing.....I never shoot raw.The files are huge and theres no way i could store them all....My system i operate on 512 megs of ram, very slow its all i have though =(

I have a shot of a blue barn in a massive snow storm that looks stunning....But this image like all of mine i dont over edit....

Thanks for explaining though...I kind of followed what you were saying...