• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Eulophus wasp parasitoids photos and video

Paul Iddon

I found these on a caterpillar. Nature being nature, I doubt this one will pupate...

YouTube Video <<

cat_attack1_4k_1800-XL.jpg

cat_attack2_4k_1800-XL.jpg

cat_attack3_4k_1800-XL.jpg

cat_attack4_4k_1800-XL.jpg

cat_attack5_4k_1800-XL.jpg

cat_attack7_4k_1800-XL.jpg

cat_attack6_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Now, theoretically, these parasitoid wasps can be used for pest control in agriculture.

However, some transgenic plants have been developed to have a protease inhibitor to protect it against insect pests with protease as part of their weapons of attack!

Unfortunately, then, those very transgenic plants could protect caterpillars against bio-control by them acquiring the plant protease inhibitor just by feeding in thr plant!

That protease inhibitor can, (at least in the lab), block the activity of the parasitoid wasp larvae protease so the caterpillars would then survive to likely pupate successfully!

Asher

Paul Iddon

An update the Eulophus wasp parasitoids - only 2 visible, 1 on the (now dead) caterpillar - and 1 has detached itself from the host.

View1para_4k_1800-XL.jpg

View2para_4k_1800-XL.jpg

View4para4K_1800-XL.jpg

View3para_4k_1800-XL.jpg

crop0para_4k_1800-XL.jpg

crop1para_4k_1800-XL.jpg

crop2para_4k_1800-XL.jpg

crop3para_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Asher Kelman

I wonder if there is some balance as to number of eggs laid. If there are too many for one caterpillar, then none of the parasitoids would have enough protein to develop fully!

Asher

Paul Iddon

I wonder if there is some balance as to number of eggs laid. If there are too many for one caterpillar, then none of the parasitoids would have enough protein to develop fully!

Asher

I do t think so, I have seen when researching up to a dozen or more on one host, so I think if it's lucky, it will be taken down sooner and less painfully...

Paul

Paul Iddon

The next stage from the Eulophus Wasp Parasitoids sequence... The detached one has developed what I assume may be (a dark brown) pre-cocoon area...

eup_stage_3_01_4k_1800-XL.jpg

eup_stage_3_03_4k_1800-XL.jpg

eup_stage_3_06_4k_1800-XL.jpg

eup_stage_3_04_4k_1800-XL.jpg

eup_stage_3_02_standard_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Asher Kelman

Just consider, that the cascade of genes triggered in this process, perhaps has close matches in our own organization but the same or evolutionary diverged and modified genes control different processes!

Some switches, like for eyes, present or absent are conserved in fruit flies, mice and humans!!

Asher