• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ever shoot something amazing and

Rachel Foster

have to wait a few hours before you know if you got the shot? I did, and I won't have access to a good computer for a few hours. Picking my daughter up from camp a little while ago we stopped on the country road so I could get a couple shots of the grasses. The road cut through what must be a small swamp because there was shallow water on either side of the road. While I was shooting, I saw movement in the water. I thought it was a fish...but it was an otter! I was three feet away from it! It's a heavily wooded area and so dark, making it a toss up as to whether I got anything worthwhile or not. All I have with me right now is a small laptop (and phone card for internet access!) and I'm absolutely on pins and needles wanting to know if I GOT THE SHOT!!!

Anyone else experience this? Tell!

In cases like this I have used the histogram to see if I was even close from an exposure standpoint, then I would use the zoom function on the LED screen to zoom into the area of concern. Those two would generally give me a clue as to the outcome. Have you already done those things?

Marshall

Rachel Foster

Oh well...I was afraid of this. The lighting fooled the Rebel's light meter and they're all quite dark. My consolation is that the ones I shot on M were better than the ones I shot (for a kind of "insurance") on P. The P shots are veeeeeeeeeeeery dark. So, I'm going to spend some time with lightroom and elements and see what I can manage.

As is, here were my "almost" and "could-have-been great" shots.

smallotter1.jpg

smallotterteeth.jpg

The bottom shot: the teeth are pretty close to in focus, but it looks oof because the little rascal was twirling. I had the focal point on his teeth. Water is cascading over his body still.

Hi Rachel,

Did you shoot in JPEG or RAW? Are you using Photoshop CS? There are ways to, in Photoshop, open two of the same shot with different exposure settings, add a layer mask and brush in highlights from the image with the brighter exposure. Do you know how to do that? This might allow you to keep the shadows and obtain more highlights on your little friend.

Marshall

Rachel Foster

Unfortunately I had it on Jpeg. I was shooting snapshots a day or two ago and didn't switch back. I do have CS2 but photoshop has proven my Waterloo.....for now! I'll be signing up for a PS class sometime in the (hopefully) near future.