• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Evolution of Process: Icon of the Annunciation

Doug Earle

The following are two adaptations of a photo titled "Mary Said Yes".

The original was a 35mm transparency, transformed into a Polaroid transfer on Silk fabric.

pt-el-01.JPG

A couple of years later I took a scan of the polaroid transfer, printed via inkjet printer on art canvass that had been painted with gold and silver leaf, which was then stretched on a frame, then scanned again.

pt-icon.JPG

The goal was to produce a photographic icon of the Annuciation, hence the title: "Mary Said Yes".

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here's Charlottes restored comment:

Doug

wow I really like this process and what you have achieved here
the last one has that Queen Annunciation reality and feel to it
I was educated in Catholic schools so I have the understanding and communication ideas into this work- this is a definite creative voice you have here-

Charlotte-

Hi Doug,

Could you explain the ideas behind the annunciation? I need a recap!

Asher

Doug Earle

Sure, Charlotte:

The original was a 35mm slide, taken in studio of a model draped with the red, translucent cloth. A year or two later I made a polaroid transfer of it on silk cloth. A year or two after that I took the scan of the Polaroid transfer, printed it on photo canvass that had been painted with gold and silver leaf, stretched it on a frame then scanned it again.

I'll have to see if I can find the original slide, as I don't have a scan of it to post to show where this all began.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Here's Charlottes restored comment:

Hi Doug,

Could you explain the ideas behind the annunciation? I need a recap!

If you mean the doctrine of The Annunciation of Mary, and not Doug Earle's "Mary Said Yes":

The Annunciation of Mary in Christian theology theology refers to when the Angel Gabriel appeared to a young virgin girl, Mary, and said, "Boy! You are going to do something really amazing! Are you up for it?"

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Earle

Doug (Kerr) has it right, hence the title, "Mary said yes" (which actually I borrowed from a choral anthem for Christmas and the Feast of the Annunciation.).