• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Field of bulrushes

Mike Shimwell

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, so I'll try here for now.

I just finished with this last night and made a small print. I intend to make a bigger print on some matte rag paper later. Perhaps I am still too close, but I am pleased. It is a very open field of bulrushes, in what used to the bed of a small man made lake.

Comments happily received!

Mike

4035094935_024969bd85_o.jpg

ErikJonas

Banned

Mike....

Outstanding image...I have always thought a image needed to be sharp.....I had a landscape that had a lil blur of ferns being blown in the breeze and thought that ruined it....But then i saw in a photographers book he had a image that had some blurry brush in it...So in some cases you can get away with it.

I dont know if you were able to follow what i was saying lol...I understand theres a wide range of whats acceptable in a image....That is a really nice picture....Good job Mike...

What was that sceen shot at?...Like 3.5?

Mike Shimwell

Thanks Eric

I've been working with a few unsharp images lately in a couple of different ways. I'll put a couple up from a little project I'm working on next week. The key here is the strength of the more clearly outlined stems and heads of the Bulrushes contrasting with the soft surroundings.

I don't remember the settings and film doesn't give you exif data! It was shot on slow film so aperture was probably arond f4 or 5.6 on a 50 and the shutter was fast enough not to contribute any blur (there are still parts of the image that are sharp in print). If I'm out and about with a rangefinder I quite often carry a monopod/stick rather than a full tripod. It's not as effective, but helps to get those in between shots where you want a stable platform.

Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The key here is the strength of the more clearly outlined stems and heads of the Bulrushes contrasting with the soft surroundings.
That's the key that is often missing from most photography where everything is equally sharp, in focus and well lit. Often images lack stratification of details and parts. Equal opportunity generally does not work in our favor in art!

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned

Mike.....Thats just a amazing picture....I try with my shooting not to get locked into any one particular style but that type of image is one i dont think i'll be able to pull off.....And on the Mono pod yeah i actually have one. Cant find the shoe for it though but it is a excellent thing to have for added stability......What was the lens you used on that shot?

Asher....Yeah i have things that sre not sharp through out, its being sharp in the right places is the key...Something i am not good at, its in focus or its not and looks bad....

Mike Shimwell

Hello Mike,

I was searching for carnivores in those bullrushes. did you develop your own roll?

best.

Hi Fahim

Yes, I develop all my own Black and White - it's quick, much less expensive and I get cleaner negs. It also gives me the chance to play with exposure and development time, but I try (in my advancing years) to minimise variations so I don't get distracted from making pictures. All the adjustments are tools, but it's easy to get sucked into all the experimentation.

Plenty of carnivores in there, just none big enough to threaten a person:)

Mike

Mike Shimwell

Mike.....Thats just a amazing picture....I try with my shooting not to get locked into any one particular style but that type of image is one i dont think i'll be able to pull off.....And on the Mono pod yeah i actually have one. Cant find the shoe for it though but it is a excellent thing to have for added stability......What was the lens you used on that shot?

Asher....Yeah i have things that sre not sharp through out, its being sharp in the right places is the key...Something i am not good at, its in focus or its not and looks bad....

Eric, thanks again. I think I used a 50 for this picture. If so it's a Zeiss C-Sonnar and the film was Adox CHS25 developed in Xtol.

Mike

ErikJonas

Banned

Mike....I found a picture thats unlike my typical landscapes i shoot but not at the standard of the one in this thread...Maybe i can get Asher to post it for me...Its not real impressive lighting wise..The sky seems to have this look of fast moving clouds...When i frist looked at it thats what i thought....Its a moderate image. I am not real impressed with it but omages i have not been impressed with others have.....

You shot that with a prime lens?

Mike Shimwell

Mike....I found a picture thats unlike my typical landscapes i shoot but not at the standard of the one in this thread...Maybe i can get Asher to post it for me...Its not real impressive lighting wise..The sky seems to have this look of fast moving clouds...When i frist looked at it thats what i thought....Its a moderate image. I am not real impressed with it but omages i have not been impressed with others have.....

You shot that with a prime lens?

Erik

I look froward to seeing your picture.

Yes, I used a prime lens for that picture - My film rangefinder camera only takes prime lenses:) I do have a couple of zooms for my dslr though...

Mike

fahim mohammed

No more film chemistry available here. rare to find c41 process even. going green !!!

carnivores...wouldn't mind being devoured by the gentler kind :)

top of the morning to you.

Hi Fahim

Yes, I develop all my own Black and White - it's quick, much less expensive and I get cleaner negs. It also gives me the chance to play with exposure and development time, but I try (in my advancing years) to minimise variations so I don't get distracted from making pictures. All the adjustments are tools, but it's easy to get sucked into all the experimentation.

Plenty of carnivores in there, just none big enough to threaten a person:)

Mike

ErikJonas

Banned

Mike message me your e-mail an i'll send it to you...Its a very plain picture that only i will like so i'm not going to post it here...But the sky, to me is the cool thing about it.....

Sandra Jones

Mike. I really like this image and must say, it makes me a bit jealous. Bulrushes make a good subject, lots around here, but I've been having trouble getting a decent shot. Now I see at least one problem. I've been standing too close and tring to concentrate on the bulrushes alone. The distance you chose is perfect. It brings in so much of the soft background and actually makes the bulrushes stand out rather than fade away (as I'd feared). I like that it is in B&W, too. It emphasises their rigidness against their soft surroundings. I don't think this would show so well in colour. I'll approach a bulrush scene differently now. Maybe even today. :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mike. I really like this image and must say, it makes me a bit jealous. Bulrushes make a good subject, lots around here, but I've been having trouble getting a decent shot. Now I see at least one problem. I've been standing too close and tring to concentrate on the bulrushes alone. The distance you chose is perfect. It brings in so much of the soft background and actually makes the bulrushes stand out rather than fade away (as I'd feared). I like that it is in B&W, too. It emphasises their rigidness against their soft surroundings. I don't think this would show so well in colour. I'll approach a bulrush scene differently now. Maybe even today. :)

Sandra,

I'd love to see you follow this through from your standpoint. This would be so great to have an opportunity to see this beautiful subject approached from an alternate perspective.

Asher

Sandra Jones

Sandra,

I'd love to see you follow this through from your standpoint. This would be so great to have an opportunity to see this beautiful subject approached from an alternate perspective.

Asher

Alright Asher, I'll take up the challenge. It rained all day today, too chilly to get inspired, so maybe tomorrow.