• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Files Hard Drive Storage by Date/Event/Collection or what?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
How do you organize image files.

1. RAW & Jpg?

2. By date?

3. By Event

4. Collections

5. Keywords

What is relationship between catalogs and your system.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Each photoshoot has its own name (Brand/product/place eventually date if these are recursing jobs)
Containing both raw files and tif exports (selection only)
Each photoshoot has its own catalog with same name.
All disks goes to the app DiskCatalogMaker for an easy search of file.
When PP is in progress it remains on my main SSD backed-up with Time machine
Then, it is safely backed-up to 2 external disks (4Tb HDs), when kept in the office the other one into a safe at the bank.
When the shoot has been done on location, shots are backed-up every night to 2 different SSD disks with are kept intact until fiels are moved to my main working HD.

Asher Kelman

Thanks, Nicolas!

That's so helpful.

I like the idea of using the “Disk Catalog Maker” to free you to the possibility of ultimately resting your drives and also having small enough HD so that rebuilding, if one fails can be done in a day.

But for long term storage, you end up with just two copies in drives: one still active if not “full”, the other in the bank vault.

You have no long term cloud backup?

Asher

nicolas claris

But for long term storage, you end up with just two copies in drives: one still active if not “full”, the other in the bank vault.
Once the job is finished (when the final files have been delivered to the client, both back-up HDs are resting, one in a drawer at the office, the other one at the bank safe.
I use this system for almost 20 years and yes it happened the one drive failed, but I could make another back-up from the other HD…
Also, when HD technology changes (aka firewire/USB2/USB3) I make new back-ups with fresh HDs

As for cloud I do have zero, but really zero (0) none, nada, never, any confidence on the long term.

Asher Kelman

Once the job is finished (when the final files have been delivered to the client, both back-up HDs are resting, one in a drawer at the office, the other one at the bank safe.
I use this system for almost 20 years and yes it happened the one drive failed, but I could make another back-up from the other HD…
Also, when HD technology changes (aka firewire/USB2/USB3) I make new back-ups with fresh HDs

As for cloud I do have zero, but really zero (0) none, nada, never, any confidence on the long term.
Superb info, Nicolas!

immense advantage is that since you are not dependent on 16TB or larger drives, your chances of rebuilding a drive without catastrophe are very high. That drive in a RAID is risky!

Unfortunately, I already consolidated some 40 or more TB of images and discovered unwanted duplicates in different 10 TB hard drives.

So I plan to try to follow your system in future and to achieve that

1. pull off files from various drives “by year” to 4 TB drives (in duplicate)

or

2. make a single 50 TB self-repairable open ZFS Z2 RAID with 2 redundant drives

then 3

3. Migrate existing Media Pro Catalogs to LR or Capture One for EVENTS, as you do.

4. Since I already have a subscription to Amazon Prime, I can back up everything for free on Amazon Prime Cloud so I don’t need to go to the bank!

Any simple idea?

Asher

nicolas claris

Superb info, Nicolas!

immense advantage is that since you are not dependent on 16TB or larger drives, your chances of rebuilding a drive without catastrophe are very high. That drive in a RAID is risky!

Unfortunately, I already consolidated some 40 or more TB of images and discovered unwanted duplicates in different 10 TB hard drives.

So I plan to try to follow your system in future and to achieve that

1. pull off files from various drives “by year” to 4 TB drives (in duplicate)

or

2. make a single 50 TB self-repairable open ZFS Z2 RAID with 2 redundant drives

then 3

3. Migrate existing Media Pro Catalogs to LR or Capture One for EVENTS, as you do.

4. Since I already have a subscription to Amazon Prime, I can back up everything for free on Amazon Prime Cloud so I don’t need to go to the bank!

Any simple idea?

Asher
Plan 1: ok
Plan 2 : self-repairable? RAID? I wouldn't give that a try!
Plan 3: ok if that's possible
Plan 4 It's because it's free that it is reliable. Cloud is only foreseeable for unimportant and temporay files. IYAM

Bank safe is a solution, the other one can be someone else house. The purpose is to avoid thief and/or fire with all drives in the same place…

Asher Kelman

Plan 1: ok
Plan 2 : self-repairable? RAID? I wouldn't give that a try!
Plan 3: ok if that's possible
Plan 4 It's because it's free that it is reliable. Cloud is only foreseeable for unimportant and temporay files. IYAM

Bank safe is a solution, the other one can be someone else house. The purpose is to avoid thief and/or fire with all drives in the same place…
Thanks, Nicolas!

I was shocked to discover that 2015 folder has pictures from others years when this was sorted by an advanced, well regarded file copying system! It’s French and I love the author who has been good to me so I will tell him privately.

I think putting each almost correctly sorted “years” folders in its own catalog and simply deleting what I don’t need, although laborious will be worthwhile!

Then I can export by years
cleanly to fresh mirrored drives.

Its a huge task, but otherwise I am continuously expanding a hell of a lot of files I will never use! I feel like a brother in a monastery ordered to the roof to flagellate himself daily before God for his negligence!

Asher

nicolas claris

Thanks, Nicolas!

I was shocked to discover that 2015 folder has pictures from others years when this was sorted by an advanced, well regarded file copying system! It’s French and I love the author who has been good to me so I will tell him privately.
Could it be that the software confused creation date and modification date?

Asher Kelman

Could it be that the software confused creation date and modification date?
I will check, but it got most of the file right. I don’t want to say the name as I would rather tell them and get it corrected. My father told me, “Never take bread off someone else’s table!”

I never forget that.

BTW, look up QNAP Hero ZFS. Brilliant system and not really expensive for something that is tiered so it puts into RAM and SSD what you are working on!

Asher