• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

first attempt

waimon wong jr

first try, not as good as the others posted here but I'm on my way!

IMG_3268_zps2ce00bef.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
first try, not as good as the others posted here but I'm on my way!

IMG_3268_zps2ce00bef.jpg

Waimon,

This is a good start. The black band is an interference. One thing you might do is have the lady actually mostly covered frontally and lying prone. Have a chaperon, if need be, to make your model comfortable. Let them get her ready as you have requested and then call you into the room. That way she will have exposed just what's needed for the picture and will be at ease.

In general, if you can't repeat a pose with a few strokes of a pencil on paper, it's too awkward. Here, the arms behind the back create extra folds and complexity without lyricism. Stretching forward, smooths out skin and simplifies the lines and allows curves to dominate. If one has skin decoration, either hide them or else celebrate them!

Asher

waimon wong jr

Thanks for the input Ash, no chaperon needed since my model is very comfortable in front of my camera being my wife of 25 years! LOL
i appreciate the thoughts on the posing and curves and will being taking them into consideration in the future.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for the input Ash, no chaperon needed since my model is very comfortable in front of my camera being my wife of 25 years! LOL

Waimon,

I guessed as much, but didn't want to be presumptuous, :) ! I'd like to know what the tattoo represents.

I appreciate the thoughts on the posing and curves and will being taking them into consideration in the future.

I'd love to see more of your work. Now that you've started, make sure you keep going and do 1 picture as week. Try sketching too. There are figure drawing groups that can be most helpful. when you can capture a pose with mostly curved stroked, from a sweep of your wrist, you know your model is posed especially well for the camera.

Asher

Andrew Molitor

I have to say, I quite like the black line of the thong. It's not traditional figure study form, but the tattoo isn't either, nor is the pose.

While I quite like the picture, there are two things I think are worth thinking about:

where is your focus? It seems to be on her elbow in this one, which I don't think is a very strong choice.

where is the viewer supposed to look? The line of the thong and arms suggests that we're supposed to be interested in her coccyx, which isn't a bad choice per se. The focus conflicts with that idea, as do other elements. The point of highest contrast is more or less her tattoo where it is crossed by the thong, the tattoo is inherently interesting, and so on.

So you have focus, leading lines, and contrast/light all pointing us in different directions. I'm not a fanatic about leading lines, or any other individual thing, but getting more alignment between the elements would make this a stronger picture.

Just a specific suggestion, then: move the camera down and to the right, to hide her coccyx, and that interesting joint in the thong that leads the eye. Focus on the tattoo. Burn and dodge to emphasize the contrast in that area, and de-emphasize it elsewhere. Use the thong strap as a diagonaly element across the frame, to add dynamism, but try to eliminate it as a leading line that goes somewhere not-interesting.