• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

First Macro

Jimmy Walters

Did this with my 30D and Tamron 70-300 macro. The lens has since died.

5017316443_c30335ee5f_z.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Did this with my 30D and Tamron 70-300 macro. The lens has since died.

5017316443_c30335ee5f_z.jpg

Jimmy,

I wouldn't worry about calling this macro. There's not a lot of detail here and that's not the special thing to enjoy. It's just the shapes, textures and colors. Anyway, a 70-300 mm lens is unlikely to excel at Macro anyway. When you shoot macro and magnify the subject, the depth of field can get awfully thin. One can use focus stacking, the technic of taking images at at different planes of focus and then building one great picture from them all.

To me, just enjoying the flower is itself worthy and there's no need for you to do more than that.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Asher, then I will get me an EF-S 55-250 and a macro of maybe 60mm or 100mm

Just one prime lens! A 50 mm, 100 mm or 150mm Macro. The qualities of these lenses are superb and make wonderful portrait lenses too. Using the x1.6 Canon sensor, I'd go for the Canon EF 50 mm Macro as it's less expensive and will give you a better DOF

Asher