• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

First trial…

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
As soon as Lorenz Koch proposed me this new test, I knew I couldn't wait to try that incredible well thought camera (we'll have time to discover why and how that is…)
So as we still were in Photokina, I proposed/asked to shoot some pics of the stand…

After a few explanation made by Thierry, I felt confident enough to move into the alley in front of the stand… after the 1st intimidating shots I couldn't resist to try exactly what the camera is not made for… action and lifestyle.
Sorry Rainer, but you made with Sinar a so good job, that it was really fun to shoot the famous fashion photographer Ralph Man and it's model Nicola (I'll have to fine her last name to deliver the full info here) realizing an amazing live shooting on stage of Sinar's booth.

So it is quite like another shot of a shooter…
Please pardon the technical approximation of these images, but they are my very first tiral of a view camera… all manual of course…

The lens is the Rodenstock 23 mm, sharp from edge to edge (200 lines in center and 80 on sides, if I remember well…)
ISO 100 - ƒ8 - 1sec
Post Prod: Brumbaer DNGing - Light Room 2 slight sharpening, zero denoise.

237D7FE3_LR.jpg

237D6AAC_LR.jpg

237D94C9_LR.jpg

237D9B27_LR.jpg

Last edited:

nicolas claris

I think the test was passed with flying colors.

Bonsoir Rachel
What do you mean? Sorry, I don't understand…

If you mean that the color temp is not correct, note that the ambient light was with so many different sources that it was almost impossible to get precise colors (which by the way were not my purpose).
Franck Doorhof as already stated that in another thread of his…

But maybe I'm not spot on what you mean…

Rachel Foster

"Passed with flying colors" is an American idiom meaning did extremely well. I got caught in a bit of Amer-centrism. Apologies!

nicolas claris

Ho!
Thank you Ron and Rachel, I was really anxious to what was bad on these shots (color wise)…

Amer-centrism is not a prob, til I got the rules!-)

BTW I realize now, relooking on the posted pics that I could have used much more of the camera possibilities (tilt and shift), i.e. getting the ceilling lines in a more perfect perspective looking…

Learning you said? yes! every day…

Rachel Foster

Nicolas, when we stop learning....we're dead. HA!
I hesitate to comment on color because I'm still struggling with monitor calibration. But it looks superb to me. I can't say any more because I have no confidence that what I see is what's really there.

nicolas claris

As promised, here are some 100% crops…

They may look a nit different as the FF posted yesterday, as they are different editing…

237D6AAC.jpg

237D7FE3.jpg

237D94C9.jpg

237DA1BA.jpg

I am always so impressed with the sharpness and clarity of your 100% crops from the Sinar. It has almost made me quit looking at my own. I am so looking forward to seeing what you do with the yacht interiors. I am just curious but would you happen to know what lens Ralph Man was using for his portraiture work there?
James Newman

it proves two points that I was making since last year, that Sinar needed a good wide angle lens --this is more than good--, that the Hy6 was not providing one and that non-retro focus lenses are better.

Now, the next thing for Sinar is to figure out a way to avoid having to move the digital back from one side to the other, (with obvious problems of making the camera big and cumbersome and slowing the photographers work etc) and adding Auto Focus...

In other words, do what Olympus has just done with the MINI 4/3. I know I am being repetitive, but this is almost like so, so I just had to say "I told you so"... just a bit in advance...

hi Leonardo,

2 things:

- this 23mm VHR lens is a BEAST, in term of quality, at least as good as the 28 HR and with at least the same shift possibilities.

- what are you referring to, when saying "avoid having to move the digital back from one side to the other"? If you are speaking about the sliding adapter of the Sinar arTec, then the answer is that it was a request and it is absolutely necessary for architecture photographers.
As for AF: if you refer to the arTec, this will certainly not be the case. It is a mechanical camera and the field of use does not need AF.

Kind regards,
Thierry

it proves two points that I was making since last year, that Sinar needed a good wide angle lens --this is more than good--, that the Hy6 was not providing one and that non-retro focus lenses are better.

Now, the next thing for Sinar is to figure out a way to avoid having to move the digital back from one side to the other, (with obvious problems of making the camera big and cumbersome and slowing the photographers work etc) and adding Auto Focus...

In other words, do what Olympus has just done with the MINI 4/3. I know I am being repetitive, but this is almost like so, so I just had to say "I told you so"... just a bit in advance...

leonardo, i thing you are not very well informed here for what kind of photgraphs has been made the artec. the sliding back IS the artec and its very comfortable to use if you need untethered precise image composing,- exactly therefor its made.
what you are asking for is a completely different camera. more alpa/cambo/arca swiss like.
however the sinar m can be used in this way with the 28HR without mirrorbox. but of course its not a mini3/4.

Reiner, Thierry. The camera and lens look fantastic and I understand that it is designed for architecture with the sliding back so that you can compose and focus. I was just extrapolating in to the future looking at one of the most talked about movements in the smaller format that are beginning to solve the issue of a live view.

Just think about the cost-benefit of having a camera where you could compose and focus hand held while strapped to the side of a helicopter wile chasing a yacht in the Mediterranean (do we know someone interested in doing that?) in the morning and in the afternoon using the same lens --probably expensive to own or rent-- for more relax tilt-shift architectural... The "cost" would just be for Sinar to make a camera that could use live view from the DB for composition and focusing, but for the time being I agree that this is a very desirable gear to have or rent..

nicolas claris

Hi James

sorry I was to busy with the arTec to look what lens Ralph was using, maybe Thierry knows…

Sharpness and clarity are coming from the lens and the back… 12 stops! that helps…

I am always so impressed with the sharpness and clarity of your 100% crops from the Sinar. It has almost made me quit looking at my own. I am so looking forward to seeing what you do with the yacht interiors. I am just curious but would you happen to know what lens Ralph Man was using for his portraiture work there?
James Newman

James/Nicolas,

Ralph was using different lenses: the Schneider 150 and the 180, also with extension tubes.

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi James

sorry I was to busy with the arTec to look what lens Ralph was using, maybe Thierry knows…

Sharpness and clarity are coming from the lens and the back… 12 stops! that helps…

As promised, here are some 100% crops…

They may look a nit different as the FF posted yesterday, as they are different editing…

237DA1BA.jpg

The side of his face has some awful noise that looks like clipping of some sort in the highlights. I am unsure if this is the JPEG or is it in the uncompressed image too? Is it the RAW converter? Is it my calibration? I have not calibrated in a while but I have little or no drift between my displays so I know it is close.

The shots look good so far. Playing with tilt and shift always sounded fun to me.

enjoy,

Sean

Cem_Usakligil

Plus beard ;-) plus too much pre sharpening…

Below is another convertion from another computer (1st converstions posted upthere were done on my laptop… hmmm should avoid that…

237DA1BLR2.jpg
Hi Nicolas,

I don't know how you convert these from RAW (or maybe compressing way too much into JPG) but this seems to have CA like edges?

Cheers,

I don't know how you convert these from RAW (or maybe compressing way too much into JPG) but this seems to have CA like edges?
The EXIF tells all:

• Software/Firmware Version = Adobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
  • Compression = JPEG compression (6)
This is not a very high quality JPEG.

all the best,

Sean

nicolas claris

Hi Nicolas,

Cheers,
Hi Cem,

Yes there is some CA, but the lighting were somewhat awfull, all the white panels facing were heavy lights and around me were not so much light, I was shooting ambient with no flash nor strobes. A very very high contrast scene…
As far as I remember the JPEG compression was set to 8 (on 10) in CS3.

May I point out again, that this kind of shots is absolutely not what the camera has been built for!

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem,

Yes there is some CA, but the lighting were somewhat awfull, all the white panels facing were heavy lights and around me were not so much light, I was shooting ambient with no flash nor strobes. A very very high contrast scene…
As far as I remember the JPEG compression was set to 8 (on 10) in CS3.

May I point out again, that this kind of shots is absolutely not what the camera has been built for!
Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for the clarification, I now understand completely :)

Cheers,

May I point out:

what is seen is NOT CA (Colour Abberration) from the lens.

This is double-contours due to the out of focus background (green booth behind).

And the purplish colour cast on the metallic stand comes from gel-coloured light reflections.

This lens has no CA at all. At least I couldn't see any from the 2 samples we had at the botth.

best regards,
Thierry

nicolas claris

The EXIF tells all:

• Software/Firmware Version = Adobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
  • Compression = JPEG compression (6)
This is not a very high quality JPEG.

all the best,

Sean

Convertion to tif has been done in LightRoom 2, export from CS3.
1st version JPEG I don't remember (obviously 6 if I believe Sean, and no reason to doubt!) but JPEG convertion @ 8 for the latter.

nicolas claris

May I point out:

what is seen is NOT CA (Colour Abberration) from the lens.

This is double-contours due to the out of focus background (green booth behind).

And the purplish colour cast on the metallic stand comes from gel-coloured light reflections.

This lens has no CA at all. At least I couldn't see any from the 2 samples we had at the botth.

best regards,
Thierry

Yes, Thierry, sorry for the too fast reply, I can see from other shots that there is no CA with this lens.

Cem and Sean, remember that we're talking of a crop from this picture:

237DA1BA_LR.jpg