• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge for Pictures in a Series: Motif or Concept Flowers in a Monochrome Composition

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Flowers are by their nature attractive to use mostly because of color but also shape, posture and structure.

In making commercial products compete, we humans use color to scream out load and get attention.

Here we remove that emotive advertising layer of seductive color! Flowers still remain naturally emotive in shape form and texture,
!

Asher Kelman: Flower from Aeriol
IPhone XS Max

Snapseed

Please add your own B&W compositions. I am hoping to that we can can discover a range of new possibilities together!

Asher

James Lemon

From the two presented I think that the first, (Cala Lilly 001), is a more engaging image . They are both good but I would choose the first if they were mine.

James Lemon

Asher Kelman: Flower from Aeriol
IPhone XS Max
Snapped

Flowers are by their nature attractive to use mostly because of color but also shape, posture and structure.

Here we remove that emotive advertising of seductive color!
Please add your own B&W compositions. I am hoping to that we can can discover a range of new possibilities together!

Asher

Oh I didn't see this one at first but this is a striking image, really cool Asher! It is meant to hang on a wall somewhere.

Asher Kelman

Oh I didn't see this one at first but this is a striking image, really cool Asher! It is meant to hang on a wall somewhere.
James,

I try to learn from shooting models to simplify sets for the flowers. I do feel gratified that the first picture of the flower from Aeriol came out as it did!

Asher

All pretty, but I must admit, the first one is sublime! Wow.
As for your thoughts "Here we remove that emotive advertising of seductive color"

It's a weird thought for me, because in my own images, I like removing color because it's a distraction to the emotion of the image, and I realize that
you are perhaps saying how we feel about color and not that the image shouldn't portray emotion.

Asher Kelman

All pretty, but I must admit, the first one is sublime! Wow.
As for your thoughts "Here we remove that emotive advertising of seductive color"

It's a weird thought for me, because in my own images, I like removing color because it's a distraction to the emotion of the image, and I realize that
you are perhaps saying how we feel about color and not that the image shouldn't portray emotion.
Exactly!

Color is so powerful. And it varies as much a declensions in Latin language!

Red + a shape:

ghastly massacres,
luscious erotic lips,
shy innocence in a blush

But graceful curves and other postures can be expressive in themselves without the screams of demanding and distracting color, especially in man made items where there can be cacophony!

Removing color reveals the naked truth of structures and texture and the graceful or harsh adjustment of all of that with light and shade!

It’s the bride naked and waiting for her lover!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher said:

It’s the bride naked and waiting for her lover!

What a lovely turn of phrase - inspiration for something to come. :)
I’m glad you like it! Was worried I might have transgressed a #me_too line!

I found this flower by the beach in Los Cabos, Mexico!

Asher Kelman: Beach Beauty

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I apologise on behalf of the ant for the intrusion.
It's not easy separating the partners of a symbiotic relationship.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
The Calyx, or “Turkey Bush” is new to me.

The presentation is impressive.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Turkey Bush is a native of the Top End of Australia. It grows into a scraggly bush about 1.5m high over a period of many years in the harshest conditions known to any Nothern Territorian.

It flowers about now when the soil dries out. It's impossible to grow in the garden. When in flower is blankets the red soil with a bright pink flush that lasts about a month or two.

The flower you see is about 20mm across.