• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rolled of old, todays Olympus and Panasonic and now Canon and Nikons mirrorless Camera are capable of programming sequential shots varied in focus distance from what would be one plane.

2B7ED85C-92D1-4ABB-918A-B305542E5B0B.jpeg

Super Sharp. Lepp used the Focus Bracketing function of the Canon EOS RP mirrorless camera to capture 80 focus-stacked images of a single primrose blossom, achieving extreme depth of field at 2x magnification. Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM with and without a Canon Extender EF 2X III. Exposure: 1/125 sec., ƒ/8, ISO 400.

Here is a wonderful article in Outdoor Photography by George Lepp, who uses various Canon and Nikon cameras to walk us through this amazing technology.

Just get a tripod and choose a post processing software of your preference!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Who has a Panasonic LUMIX, Olympus OM-D, Nikon’s Z 6, Z 7 and D850 or else Canon’s EOS RP camera? They all give us with focus bracketing?m!

Are you ever using these wonderful functions?

Asher

Asher Kelman

And, OMG, a wonderful discovery, if I upgrade my firmware on my GFX and use the 120mm 4.0 Fuji G Macro, I can use focus stacking on my own Fuji GFX!

There is a wonderful article by Kasson here!

The detail is spectacular and worth reading no matter your camera brand.

As an example:

8A53D1E0-3086-4916-9CB5-295B6DE91DAC.jpeg

Let us know if you are doing focus bracketing with your camera and what software you use, Photoshop CC, Canons’ free software, Helicon Focus or what?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
Who has a Panasonic LUMIX . . .

I have three Panasonic Lumix cameras. I don't know which, if any, can do that. I'll check in the morning.

In any case, if any of them have that, I have never used it.

It looks like a quite valuable functionality.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

I find that the most potent of my Panasonic Lumix cameras, the DMC-FZ1000, does not have either in-camera focus stacking or even focus bracketing.

But I believe its direct successor, the DC-FZ1000 II, has both. And there are many other Panasonic Lumix cameras that have one or both of these functionalities.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

I find that the most potent of my Panasonic Lumix cameras, the DMC-FZ1000, does not have either in-camera focus stacking or even focus bracketing.

But I believe its direct successor, the DC-FZ1000 II, has both. And there are many other Panasonic Lumix cameras that have one or both of these functionalities.

Best regards,

Doug
You should try that indoors with a flower or a bug!

Or an antique watch!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
Focus stacking and assembly of the sequential frames to obtain pictures of incredible detail and dimensionality!
As I hoped I had made clear supra, I have no camera that automatically does focus bracketing. Are you suggesting I do it "manually"?

Best regards,

Doug

Robert Watcher

Yes Olympus has had this feature for some time. Models provide both Focus Bracketing (requires third party software) and Focus Stacking (composites the set of images in camera). My Olympus E-M1 from 2013 provides these features. I believe any lens can be used for Focus Bracketing, but only select lenses - which I do not have - can be used for Focus stacking. Neither of these features have suited my style or interest - but I’m sure they are pretty cool options to have when needed.

Asher Kelman

Today’s high pixel count cameras, with a lens of 85mm or so (equivalent “35mm” format), can be also used to take pictures of an insect on a flower and then crop from that quite amazingly detailed images with a single handheld shot.

But the “ahead of the curve” Olympus technology for focus stacking, always impressed me as it gave so many enthusiasts the ability to make detailed macro images with the entire subject in perfect focus.

Now it’s also in my Fuji GFX with many more large pixels to devote to the macro image and I am thrilled! But I need the $2700 120mm IS lens to play with it!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

As I hoped I had made clear supra, I have no camera that automatically does focus bracketing. Are you suggesting I do it "manually"?

Best regards,

Doug
You might have to update your firmware. For my Fuji one has to do that!

It will give you a sequence of pictures but the. You need Helicon Focus, Photoshop or other software to fuse the images.

There must be free software. Perhaps GIMP has it?

Asher