• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Follow along on my 31 day challenge - Day 1&2

I'm doing a 31 day challenge with a group of friends.

We are shooting one shot everyday for the whole month and we are following a list. We must do whatever the list says which may be either an object, an adjective or a type of shot. The interesting thing is to see how everyone treats the same item on the list.

I have done my first 2 days and thought I'd share them here if anyone is interested. I will be adding a new photo everyday. There are no prizes involved or anything; it is simply for fun.

Day 1 was Popcorn. I had a bag that I popped in the microwave but it turned out a bit overdone but since it was New Year's day and where I live nothing was open, I had to make do with what I had. Oh and if you are wondering, the yellow sucker is supposed to represent a toothpick with an olive through it! ha! :-D

1popcorn.jpg

Day 2 (today) was Rust. For the life of me I couldn't find any rust anywhere. I guess everything is made out of stainless today. Finally, Simon had this sword that was discolored on the handle. It looked like a black/brown color so I wet the sword (don't worry - it is not a valuable sword - simply a prop) and dusted on some curry powder, some chili powder and then some cinnamon. I have to say, it doesn't look far off.
It's one of the fun reasons to do something like this, because you have to sometimes be creative!
I printed out the first page of 'A Knight's Tale' from the 'Canterbury Tales' by Chaucer to use as my backdrop as well as an old medieval map.

2rust.jpg

I hope you follow me for my month long journey! :)

visual fun

I'm doing a 31 day challenge with a group of friends.

We are shooting one shot everyday for the whole month and we are following a list. We must do whatever the list says which may be either an object, an adjective or a type of shot. The interesting thing is to see how everyone treats the same item on the list.

I have done my first 2 days and thought I'd share them here if anyone is interested. I will be adding a new photo everyday. There are no prizes involved or anything; it is simply for fun.

Day 1 was Popcorn. I had a bag that I popped in the microwave but it turned out a bit overdone but since it was New Year's day and where I live nothing was open, I had to make do with what I had. Oh and if you are wondering, the yellow sucker is supposed to represent a toothpick with an olive through it! ha! :-D

1popcorn.jpg

Day 2 (today) was Rust. For the life of me I couldn't find any rust anywhere. I guess everything is made out of stainless today. Finally, Simon had this sword that was discolored on the handle. It looked like a black/brown color so I wet the sword (don't worry - it is not a valuable sword - simply a prop) and dusted on some curry powder, some chili powder and then some cinnamon. I have to say, it doesn't look far off.
It's one of the fun reasons to do something like this, because you have to sometimes be creative!
I printed out the first page of 'A Knight's Tale' from the 'Canterbury Tales' by Chaucer to use as my backdrop as well as an old medieval map.

2rust.jpg

I hope you follow me for my month long journey! :)

Maggie,

You had me with the corny martini, dry but with a twist. Very nicely done. Your solution for rust is great and the touch from the Tales inspirational.

Love both and I'll be looking for more.

Best, Bill

Maggie,

You had me with the corny martini, dry but with a twist. Very nicely done. Your solution for rust is great and the touch from the Tales inspirational.

Love both and I'll be looking for more.

Best, Bill

Hi Bill,
Thank you so much. I'm pleased you enjoyed what I've done so far. It's a blast to do and even more fun to share! :)

Antonio Correia

The rust image is a must ! but the last one is even better !

That is a doll some 10 centimeters height right ?

The bokeh is it post production/photograph ? Like two layers one over the other, one for the doll and another for the bokeh ?

The rust image is a must ! but the last one is even better !

That is a doll some 10 centimeters height right ?

The bokeh is it post production/photograph ? Like two layers one over the other, one for the doll and another for the bokeh ?

Thank you Antonio!
It is a figurine that is 25cm high.

The zoom blur is in camera but the bokeh, I added in post-production as I thought it needed something to make it feel more magical. It's all in fun! :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
2rust.jpg

This is so creatively believable. It did not occur to me for a moment that we were not looking at rusty but trust sword!

Fabulously creative mind you have, Maggie!

Asher

2rust.jpg

This is so creatively believable. It did not occur to me for a moment that we were not looking at rusty but trust sword!

Fabulously creative mind you have, Maggie!

Asher

Thank you Asher, I was happy my idea worked. I kind of wish that the chili spices I had were a little finer blend, as I think it would have looks better with a few less lumps. :)

Is it me or isn't there a cast in the sword image ?!...

Perhaps is just my small and rather old monitor...

Antonio, your eyes are not deceiving you. The original picture was a bit too blue and I warmed up the papers beneath to help them look old but masked out the sword. Now having them juxtaposed one beside the other makes the bluish tinge stand out even more. Oh, well... Good thing it is not for my portfolio. LOL! ;-)

Day 4 - berries

I played around with different types of berries but finally decided on this shot of some raspberries in a teacup that was once my mom's.
4berries.jpg

This next shot is to show you what I often have to deal with when taking pictures, mind you if I wanted to take a picture of her, she'd be nowhere to be found.

4chianaberry.jpg

Asher Kelman

Day 4 - berries

I played around with different types of berries but finally decided on this shot of some raspberries in a teacup that was once my mom's.
4berries.jpg

This next shot is to show you what I often have to deal with when taking pictures, mind you if I wanted to take a picture of her, she'd be nowhere to be found.

4chianaberry.jpg

Maggie,

I do not like the cat anywhere near the strawberries for three reasons. First the overlap is not bold enough if it were to be a design element. Next the overlap has no meaning for the scene - the cat is neither licking nor eating the berries. Lastly you have already accomplished a far more satisfying image with the tilted bowl to show something happening to the berries.

Asher

Maggie,

I do not like the cat anywhere near the strawberries for three reasons. First the overlap is not bold enough if it were to be a design element. Next the overlap has no meaning for the scene - the cat is neither licking nor eating the berries. Lastly you have already accomplished a far more satisfying image with the tilted bowl to show something happening to the berries.

Asher

Ha! Asher, if you read the description, you would know that the cat is definitely not my image. It is just to show everyone that she spent all my shoot being in my way. It is hilarious to me that you thought I was pondering using that one! LOL.

Have to agree with Asher on this one. First shot for sure.

LOL! Chris Like I just answered to Asher. The cat shot was simply to show that the cat was a pain in the butt while I was shooting and not my the shot being considered as my shot for the day at all. It has a border simply because I wanted it to look nice on my blog and I didn't take it off to post here. On my blog, I explain how annoying she was as she would not go away. It was supposed to be a behind the scenes "see what I have to deal with" type of image.

James Lemon

Day 4 - berries

4berries.jpg

4chianaberry.jpg

Maggie

I really like the composition and the background textures and colours of the cup of berries. They look so real and eatable... very nice work!

James

Asher Kelman

LOL! Chris Like I just answered to Asher. The cat shot was simply to show that the cat was a pain in the butt while I was shooting and not my the shot being considered as my shot for the day at all. It has a border simply because I wanted it to look nice on my blog and I didn't take it off to post here. On my blog, I explain how annoying she was as she would not go away. It was supposed to be a behind the scenes "see what I have to deal with" type of image.

Yes, Maggie, You wrote it clearly between the pictures. Those words missed my quick eye. I admit that most often I just go and look at new things and immediately want to enjoy them - my impulsivity - but then that's how I agreed to get married and how I bought my current home, (both, incidentally, beyond my status and worth)!

Even with cameras, I hardly ever RTFM. :)

For photography, it takes years of recognizing bad pictures to get the right impulses. I'm still learning!

Asher

Antonio Correia

I really like the raspberries image. It is very well composed and framed. Nice DOF.

The strawberries with the cat... not so good as the previous !

:)

Yes, Maggie, You wrote it clearly between the pictures. Those words missed my quick eye. I admit that most often I just go and look at new things and immediately want to enjoy them - my impulsivity - but then that's how I agreed to get married and how I bought my current home, (both, incidentally, beyond my status and worth)!

Even with cameras, I hardly ever RTFM. :)

For photography, it takes years of recognizing bad pictures to get the right impulses. I'm still learning!

Asher

Well, got a good woman and a house out of the deal, not too shabby! As for the image, I can understand how that happened.. and I think most people have done just as you, and thought I was putting up that image. Now it's too late, I can't even edit to take it away. LOL - oh, well... live and learn!

I really like the raspberries image. It is very well composed and framed. Nice DOF.

The strawberries with the cat... not so good as the previous !

:)

Ha! Well, I only put up that image to show everyone how annoying my cat was during the shoot and that image is not my image for the day; it is, of course, the ones with the raspberries. I think many thought like you and didn't read, just looked at the pictures. I will be more careful in future not to include any behind the scenes as it was just in context of how my shoot went. No harm done! :)