• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Form and Backlight - Criticism Desired

A small series of images for which criticism would be appreciated even if it is just that you prefer one over the others or dislike them all so long as it is constructive.

These are all last light just above the tideline.

thanks,

Sean

Mike Spinak

pro member
Beautiful kelp shots, Sean. Really inspired and inspiring stuff. It's hard to pick a favorite... I'm wavering... but at the moment, I think I most like the second one down.

We should get together for an intertidal zone shoot, sometime.

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

Mike Spinak said:
Beautiful kelp shots, Sean. Really inspired and inspiring stuff. It's hard to pick a favorite... I'm wavering... but at the moment, I think I most like the second one down.
Thanks. I am partial to the second but like the lines of the forth best. But the fourth lacks critical focus.

Mike Spinak said:
We should get together for an intertidal zone shoot, sometime.

I would enjoy it. Let me know if you will be up in WA anytime soon. This is the best tidepool season with lots of low tides after dark when the nocturnal species come out. For rocky shore access anything below a 3 or 4 foot is good enough (eel grass below that hides too much) and I know there will be some super low tides in the 10:30 to 1:00 a.m. range soon too. You have to shoot flash, but there are some species you are very unlikely to get without it. Or when it is convenient. My next road trip goal for photos is likely a Summer run up the Frasier Valley or Vancouver Island in BC.

Noting you are in the greater Bay Area, I would also suggest getting a copy of Seashore Life of the Northern Pacific Coast: An Illustrated Guide to Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia (Paperback) by Eugene N. Kozloff if you do not have one as it is a fantastic reference for keying species and it covers the Bay Area North to BC IIRC. Kozloff also has a fantastic volume on the plants and animals of the Pacific Northwest. These two eclipse my other references in ease of use and breadth. Though there are volumes with better breadth on things if you can handle the heavier taxonomic influece (I am not there yet).

enjoy,

Sean

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Very enjoyable work, Sean,

I especially like images 2 and 4. Very fluid lines and interesting colors. The 2cd image is most remarkable and worthy of attention. I don't know what you were smoking at the time, but I'd like one too! Very creative selection, sober or not!

Asher

Asher Kelman said:
Very creative selection, sober or not!

Thanks Asher.

I have been an admirer of the way the tide washes kelp upon the beach. The tide leaves them in the softest gentles curves that map out the way the water slowly washed out beneath them. I have tried manually placing them and I cannot soften out the curves to make them so fluid in form. I also watch them whenever I am the beach with a camera.

enjoy,

Sean

Number 3 does it for me. I especially like the curve and the way it leads the eye through the picture. My only criticism is that the light "blobs" in the background are a bit distracting.

Nice work, thanks for sharing

Asher Kelman

Sean,

I just returned from a tour of galleries showing photographic works. One of my obsessions. There was great stuff to see, yours would have fitted in well.

Asher

Charles L Webster said:
My only criticism is that the light "blobs" in the background are a bit distracting.

Thank you Charles. Was your concern the blur circles at upper left that just scream bad boke? Those bothered me too but I find cloning out defocus much harder than cloning out details in large amounts and was not happy with my results.

enjoy,

Sean

Asher Kelman said:
I just returned from a tour of galleries showing photographic works. One of my obsessions. There was great stuff to see, yours would have fitted in well.

Thank you Asher. :eek:) Now if I just had the gallery connections to get stuff into them. Well, one step at a time and I am just starting to catch up with shooting from over the Summer.

enjoy,

Sean

Asher Kelman

Winning a gallery representation!

Sean DeMerchant said:
Thank you Asher. :eek:) Now if I just had the gallery connections to get stuff into them. Well, one step at a time and I am just starting to catch up with shooting from over the Summer.

enjoy,

Sean

Hi Sean,

It's a hard slog. There is a huge investment. Galleries have only limited wall space and like a boxing promoter, have stars which they make into "brand names". It takes time to build up a body of work and the rapport to win over a gallery owner.

Asher