• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Free art, but not stealable

Here's a little-known attraction to see if you are in Jerusalem. The big central market, Machane Yehuda, closes down for Shabbat. Stores pull down creaky steel shutters, and on the outside of the shutters are a whole range of images, painted since 2016 or so by Solomon Souza, and more recently by others as well. Here' are some examples:

and another:

and another:

more people (in an empty market):

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Scott,

I so appreciate you sharing this remarkable series.

First it’s a surprise return. You give us documentation of abandoned Arab Villages and streets emptied of cars and taken over by children when adults are praying and fasting on Yom Kippur, the Jewish Day of Atonement. Bring us into Your home to watch, over the years your beautiful lively children become serious but happy young adults.

I mourn the long absences but rejoice your regular returns.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Here, for the uninitiated, are folk culturally insulated by their own design from mainstream modern Israel. That means likely no TV, internet or flirting or dating!

From infancy they know the father’s job, almost always, is to study Torah and the Talmud “to help heal the World”.

Mothers go to work!
Asher

Asher Kelman

Therese are “Haredim”, folk meticulously observant of myriads of unique customs, laws and taboos.

Schooling under a separate independant religious educational authority that eschews and/or restricts “lay subjects” such as advanced math, English, history, sociology, geography.
Schooling is be a Separate system that eschews and/or restricts “lay subjects” such as advanced math, English, history, sociology, geography. The job is to prepare for the serious job of adulthood and protecting the practice of the religious, sexually separate and modest way of life. Even cell phones have to be kosher and set up to have no general internet access to polluting images or ideology.

The job is to prepare for the serious job of adulthood and protecting the practice of the religious, sexually separate and modest way of life. Even cell phones have to be “kosher”, set up to have no internet access to outside news, polluting images or ideology.

Interestingly, when a few of these more independant-thinking lifetime Talmud scholars trickle into Army service or adult education, there’s a surprise awakening of hidden talents!

Often, they excel in computer science. It appears that a life of day and night Talmud study using “IF, THEN, ELSE” arguments, sets the brain for computer Science and AI!

Well, it's more complicated than you might think. My exposure is that Shosh, my wife's mother has three children, one of whom became ultra-orthodox, seeking for meaning after her army experience in Lebanon, I understand. So of Shosh's roughly 40-50 grandchildren (the number is still growing), only four are secular, and I have gone to quite a few weddings, and some of the many brits. While only the women hold regular jobs (with one exception, a couple both of whom are musicians), there are deals to be made and lots of unofficial side businesses. At the Hebrew University, we are under constant pressure to provide education streams for the Haredim, but as long as they refuse to have women in their classes, or (perish the thought) take instruction from a female faculty member, we still say no. We have faculty members who live at the edge of the ultra-orthodox community. One of our grad students, an ex-haredi, was an army logistics officer for his reserve duty. He knew where every armored bus could be found in the west bank, and could round them all up, if needed, within an hour or two. He's now working in an MIT-spinoff startup in the Boston area. Another famous faculty member, one of six sons of a distinguished rabbi, calls himself the "white sheep" of his family, and lives a split life.

One more little thought. Middle-class, secular kids who decide to live an ultra-orthodox life say that they are "hozrim btchuva" -- returning to the answer. Those who leave the orthodox life and become more secular, say in turn that they "hozrim bsheala" -- returned to the question.