• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: From Photo Printing to Full Color 3D additive Manufacturing!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I remember having an HP laser printer for B&W and thinking its was the cats whiskers of technology.

Yes, I did switch to Canon color with something like 9 pigment inks, set to last a hundred years!

But this Wednesday I was really amazed by HP’s leverage of all their color technology, with giant printheads, to print in color on black heat absorbing spheres coated with reflective white that exactly melt to fuse according to the IR heat pattern created in the surface of a bed of powder.

The results are permanent colored plastics. Hospitals are using the printers to plan surgeries for children with heart defects or tumors.
Or it’s used for industry with different aspects of a complex part being coded in color for easier assembly!

Asher Kelman: Saratek and HP Sharing Prints!

Asher Kelman: Working Part for a Machine

But what I like most was their build of fine textures crafted in 3D software like Rhino and simply printed out at a touch of a button!

Or else, creation of colored hanging fabrics with interlocking loose parts of different colors or materials that can be electroplated in the metal of your choice!

Asher