• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

fuzzy little fella

this bee was taking a break on a table on my deck, and let me snap a few close-ups... Panasonic FZ20 with Nikon 6T, from about 12" away...

P1030147a.jpg

Hi Winston,

Just remember you asked for it. <friendly smile about your signature>

What I like:
  • The DoF is pretty deep which is the one lovely aspect of smaller format sensors. This creates lots of nice details to tickle the eyes.
  • The exposure is clean with good details in many of the darkest areas (in direct light).
  • The right outer (or is it front?) wing has spectacular detail with clearly presented details of wing venation.
  • The detail on the right front leg is decent but a touch soft. The detail on the right middle leg is very good. I especially like the details of the climbing gear it has in place of feet/hands.
  • The detail on the right antenna is decent with good detail on the joint closest to the eyes.
Questions:
  • Is this full frame or close to it? Would you care to share the full frame if it is a crop?
  • Did you get any clear shots of its backside(thorax)? This is very helpful in identifying bumble bee species from the keys I have seen.
  • How many other shots of this specimen did you get?
  • What is your lens system's maximum magnification? 1:1? 1:2?
  • Do you shoot RAW?
Anyway, this is a starting place if you are interested in discussion of this type of image. I have been stalking bees for years and delight in shooting them and wasps. They have such a surreal alien beauty to them. Their world is so alien. I find it an immense rush to get in close*** as have honey bees or bumble bees crawling over me**** and just treating my like part of the terrain is a serious trust boundary issue.

So please let me know if you are interested in discussion of shooting bees and wasps as it is one of my favorite subject areas. You have the warm up, but not the criticism part as I do not know where to start.

Merry Christmas,

Sean

* Just a wild guess based on the statistical bias** I have read is prevalent in most species.

** Male bees of some species are often not particularly useful beyond reproduction. With other species the males may take on a parental role. But the bias says they are likely to be female by my reading.

***But not while close to their homes if they are territorial species. Research of potentially dangerous animals before approaching them is something I must stress is important for all animals including insects. Allergies to bee and wasp stings are potentially fatal for some people.

**** I have only done this a couple times and have more to learn about what is safe and what is not safe.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Again, this picture is wonderful!

I too like the glorious detail and wonder about the closeness and magnification. Is the Nikon 6T a a Macro slip on front lens?

To what extent are the specular points just that or possibly sharpening artifacts.

I do understand that these little dangerous beasts have reflective parts.

Asher

Sean,

To answer your questions....

• this is a full frame shot.
  • i didn't get any shots of the thorax... i'm not into bees, per se, i just wanted a nice close-up of this little fellow.
  • i probably took a dozen or so shots, and kept the best 2 or 3.
  • the camera i used for this is a fixed-lens digicam, a Panasonic FZ20, with a Nikon 6T close-up lens attached. with the 6T in place, i can focus from about 12" and still use the full 12x zoom (equivalent to ~ 430mm).
  • the FZ20 does not shoot RAW.

"You have the warm up, but not the criticism part as I do not know where to start."

you don't know where to start.... is this that bad? :eek:

Asher Kelman said:
Again, this picture is wonderful!

I too like the glorious detail and wonder about the closeness and magnification. Is the Nikon 6T a a Macro slip on front lens?

To what extent are the specular points just that or possibly sharpening artifacts.

I do understand that these little dangerous beasts have reflective parts.

Asher

Asher, the Nikon 6T is a dual-element, 3-diopter close-up lens that screws into the filter ring. My Panasonic FZ20 has an adapter that allows me to use 62mm accessory lenses/filters, and the 6T lets me use the camera's full zoom capability and still focus at about 12". unfortunately, Nikon discontinued the 6T about 8 months ago, but the 1.5-diopter 5T is still available.

some of the specular points you refer to - at least those on the hairs on the bee's body - are probably the result of sharpening, which for this photo was done using Irfanview (i didn't have PS at the time). i suppose i could go back and reprocess the original with PS 7.0 and try to sharpen it up a bit without the artifacts, but it's just never been a high priority.