• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Getting into Wildlife Photography

Jacob Lobo

Hi all, I hope this isn't too much of a tiresome question (I did a search and couldn't find a post that properly answered my question).
I've been looking at getting into wildlife photography, with an emphasis on bird photography and plan on taking it seriously. As an undergraduate zoologist who spends a lot of time birdwatching, the ability to capture my sightings seems amazing and so I doubt any money spent will be money wasted as I don't see myself hating the photography aspect!
As such, I'm not afraid to drop quite a lot on it right from the get-go, so my budget will be around £800 and I'm hoping to find a second hand camera and lens with that money to maximise bang for buck.
Any advice is much appreciated!

Peter Dexter

I also do bird photography. My equipment of choice consists of a Canon 7D ll, Canon 400 5.6 and Canon 600 EX flash with Better Beamer. The weight of the 400 is the maximum I'm willing to carry around. I've gone out with younger photographers who use a Tamron 150 600 but that's too heavy for me and I prefer the prime lens over zoom. Some years ago I used a Canon 100 400 zoom but found the image quality a bit less than with the prime. The close focus of the 400 is sufficient that I've almost never had to back up to get the bird. Of course it depends on what your principal subjects will be. In my case they are forest birds so the magnification of the 400 is perfectly adequate. If on the other hand I would mostly be shooting shorebirds or distant ducks and grebes on water a 600 with tripod would be in order. Anyway you will become addicted in no time!

Chris Calohan

800 pounds is not a lot of money if you want to do serious bird photography. I would suggest a Nikon D610 (used) coupled to a Nikon 80-400 (used) from bhphotovideo.com as this will be close to your price point and give you pretty decent results. Whatever you decide on, don't go for cheap glass.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi all, I hope this isn't too much of a tiresome question (I did a search and couldn't find a post that properly answered my question).
I've been looking at getting into wildlife photography, with an emphasis on bird photography and plan on taking it seriously. As an undergraduate zoologist who spends a lot of time birdwatching, the ability to capture my sightings seems amazing and so I doubt any money spent will be money wasted as I don't see myself hating the photography aspect!
As such, I'm not afraid to drop quite a lot on it right from the get-go, so my budget will be around £800 and I'm hoping to find a second hand camera and lens with that money to maximise bang for buck.
Any advice is much appreciated!

Welcome to OPF!

I admire your fresh attitude, confidence and enthusiasm. This will take you a long way.

Moreover, your idea of proven used gear is is smart.

Both choices given above are excellent. If you have an idea of which groups of bird habitats you gravitate towards most, then your decision is easier.

Which university are you at?

I went to Birmingham, many decades ago!

Asher