• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hackney Carriage, London UK

Robert Watcher

Hackney Carriage, London UK

IMG_3614.jpeg

Andrew Stannard

pro member
A classic shot for London! Nicely done.

Legally these taxis are required to have a very tight turning circle - 25ft I believe. This is to enable them to easily perform u-turns in the London streets without have to go through a series of forwards and backwards manoeuvres. By comparison most cars and SUVs probably have a turning circle of around 35ft.

Andrew.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Legally these taxis are required to have a very tight turning circle - 25ft I believe. This is to enable them to easily perform u-turns in the London streets without have to go through a series of forwards and backwards manoeuvres. By comparison most cars and SUVs probably have a turning circle of around 35ft.

Andrew.
Yes, very strict specifications!

…..and got the drivers there’s much more. Becoming a taxi driver, at lest decades ago, required hundreds of hours cycling around London or other Cities and learning street names.

I wonder whether that has changed since the ubiquitous advent of electronic guidance devices?

Asher

Robert Watcher

Andrew.
Very interesting

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
At least until 2014, that black car test is still required learning more than 25,000 streets, their direction, all hospitals, parks, major businesses, schools, museums and non private destinations.m

Be amazed by this New York Times article!

However, the Mayor of London has removed the £5,000 fee for the exam and some commercial Minicabs companies are paying for the tuition in a major recruitment drive for this commerce sector!

Asher

Andrew Stannard

pro member
At least until 2014, that black car test is still required learning more than 25,000 streets, their direction, all hospitals, parks, major businesses, schools, museums and non private destinations.m

Be amazed by this New York Times article!

Asher
A great article that. From the one below it seems like 'The Knowledge' is still required, but they are looking into ways to modernise the test, as the number of people willing to commit to passing it is on the decline - and as you pointed out, we now have tools like Google maps.

https://www.intelligenttransport.co...ting-the-knowledge-save-london-taxi-industry/

Andrew.