• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Technical Question Help needed...Please.

fahim mohammed

I have 2 questions re: camera settings I need your help with.

1. I am a beginner to video with a Fuji X series or Nikon Z6 ( mark I ).

It is recommended that the SS must usually be 2x fps.
I want to shoot at 120 fp. What shutter speed should I use? 1/250? What if it is dark and I need a slower SS? I want To keep the ISO to sane levels.
I have made numerous video clips, useless subject matter, so as to test.
I am lost.
Please help me and get me going!

2. This is specific to my Nikon Z6.

I want a self portrait.
I set the camera to tigger after 2 Or more seconds.
I press the trigger. Scramble and pose.
The image is taken.

I don’t like the exposure. I am so dark, that I am hidden.
So I set up AE Bracketing. Say 3 shots. And to feed my vanity normal, and + exposure increase.
So far so good.
I press the trigger.
Scramble to get in the frame. Give my best possible smile.
The picture is taken.

In anticipation ( although I know before hand ) the camera takes only ONE shot!!

I cannot be running to the camera for each shot with exposure compensation fiddled.
I want the camera to take 3 continuous shots ( for example ) while exposure bracketing each shot.

The only setting I have left out is interval timing. I don’t want to get there.

Any suggestions will get a coffee cup of your choice, after lock downs are history, and I travel to your part of the world.

Thank you and my best wishes to all.

Jerome Marot

1: if you take 120 pictures per second, each picture can only be 1/120s long. Indeed this is a problem with slow-motion cameras (the ones taking 10000... pictures per second, they need lots of light).
2: much simpler would be to use manual mode, and test the exposure on another person or a gray card or, if you don't have a grey card, on the palm of your hand. The trick is the following: go to where you will be with the camera, put your hand into the light and mesure (the spot measuring function can be of help). Correct by +1ev, making the picture 1 ev lighter. This will be the correct exposure.

James Lemon

I have 2 questions re: camera settings I need your help with.

1. I am a beginner to video with a Fuji X series or Nikon Z6 ( mark I ).

It is recommended that the SS must usually be 2x fps.
I want to shoot at 120 fp. What shutter speed should I use? 1/250? What if it is dark and I need a slower SS? I want To keep the ISO to sane levels.
I have made numerous video clips, useless subject matter, so as to test.
I am lost.
Please help me and get me going!

2. This is specific to my Nikon Z6.

I want a self portrait.
I set the camera to tigger after 2 Or more seconds.
I press the trigger. Scramble and pose.
The image is taken.

I don’t like the exposure. I am so dark, that I am hidden.
So I set up AE Bracketing. Say 3 shots. And to feed my vanity normal, and + exposure increase.
So far so good.
I press the trigger.
Scramble to get in the frame. Give my best possible smile.
The picture is taken.

In anticipation ( although I know before hand ) the camera takes only ONE shot!!

I cannot be running to the camera for each shot with exposure compensation fiddled.
I want the camera to take 3 continuous shots ( for example ) while exposure bracketing each shot.

The only setting I have left out is interval timing. I don’t want to get there.

Any suggestions will get a coffee cup of your choice, after lock downs are history, and I travel to your part of the world.

Thank you and my best wishes to all.

Hello Fahim

I shoot the Z6 too but I don't do video. However the Nikon system will allow you to shoot in manual using automatic ISO. You will have all control over shutter speed and aperture and the camera will expose correctly by choosing the appropriate ISO speed. Go to the menu and find ISO sensitivity settings and choose your minimum and maximum ISO and the camera will do the rest for you . Whatever you choose for shutter speed and aperture. You can use it as a base for your parameters and tweak it from there, if you like. I set mine to minimum 100 and 25600 max. Hope this helps?

Last edited: