• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Help with landscapes

Ron Morse

I enjoy landscapes but have no experiance with it.

I like the way the water leads the eye into the background in this shot but can not get it to satisfy me. I have taken shots here for 3 years and never really known if I was getting it right or not.
Should this have been cropped, was it framed right or is it just worthless. I notice that I did get it a bit contrasty although it was a very bright day.

I am not at all thin skinned so what is the verdict?

mg29786af1.jpg

Ray West

Hi Ron,

I thought you were going to send in your camera and lenses, or is this an earlier photo ?

Anyway, I think the problem is similar to one I get - familiarity with the scene, you're stuck in seeing it that way. I look out over a similar scene, well its river, hills and sky, but a few electricity transmission towers in the background, not quite so 'outback'. I can't take much of a photo of that, either, but I bet others could.

However, back to you...

I think it may work better, if you can get up higher, but probably not possible, - looking down on the meandering river more, but I think this particular image works better with a fair bit cropped off the bottom.

Normally in this sort of 'leading into the distance landscape view', I start my eye at the bottom. I see the river, follow it up, take the right hand fork and straight out of the picture...... There is nothing at the 2/3 spot either, no subject, so whats the focus - pc desktop wallpaper image?

If you crop it, probably just above that horizontal blue, (in the proportion - on my screen the whole image is 5 3/8 inches high, you chop off the bottom 1 1/8 inches,) it suddenly becomes more interesting, and its a more interesting ('modern!???') panoramic type format. Now, the '>' shaped patch of water catches my eye, its nearer the 2/3 point. I think would also take another 1 1/8 slice off the top, and play with whats left of the sky, maybe darken it, add some clouds, whatever.

I like the colours, maybe you get down lower next time, just a few reeds in the foreground, maybe you try the blurring thing I tried on your moose, create your own point of interest, but I think as you suggested, cropping may do it.

Best wishes,

Ray

Don Lashier

Hi Ron,

Sorry, while pleasant, this image does not do much for me - although the color is beautiful, it lacks depth and intimacy with no compensating abstract composition.

If possible I would get down close to the water and include close foreground. Not only with this give depth but it would give the possibility of imposing compositional elements (leading from corners to center). If this is not feasible you might try a long lens including only the further water, grass, and trees - or even just the closer water and grass, trying to make a compositional/texture statement.

- DL

Ron Morse

Thanks Ray and Don. You both mention getting down to the stream, but that would be a challenge indeed. I'm not sure that I want to risk it.
This place is fairly close to my home and I'm drawn to it each time that I drive by. I guess their isn't any thing to catch the eye or to really draw a person into it. Maybe thats why although I have taken many pictures there I've never been satisfied with any of them.
I appreciate the comments.

Ray the 20D went to canon Friday. They should have it on Tuesday. What cinched it for me was when I had to photographer friends try the camera. Many of their shots were also out of focus. They both told me that I should have sent it in 2 years ago.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ron Morse said:

I like the way the water leads the eye into the background in this shot but can not get it to satisfy me. I have taken shots here for 3 years and never really known if I was getting it right or not.
Should this have been cropped, was it framed right or is it just worthless. I notice that I did get it a bit contrasty although it was a very bright day.

I am not at all thin skinned so what is the verdict?

Ron,

It appears that the others have attempted to answer a question, "How would anyone here approach making a stunning picture from what's to be seen in this location?"

However, that I think may not be what you are asking.

The image does not satisfy me either! However, there are a number of complex issues dealing with intent to express a vision (or not), produce a pretty landscape scene that one might see on a postcard, (or not) or whether you are struggling with how you look at your images or what you do to them!

It appears that the file has been processed a lot. It would be great for you to post one that is less altered, unless for artistic reasons you have decided on these colors I see.

The next thing is that I find nothing inherently wrong with the subject.

I find I must be a hunter, stalking my prey, to move here and there, choosing a vantage point until I'm master of the scene as I choose a particular viewpoint that excludes what doesn't belong and includes what I wish.

Here, I'd ask, what your intention is. I can't say the bottom if the picture shouldn’t be like that, as you have decided that the water is open and suddenly appears/disappears with no marker.

Now did you decide that?

This is where Nicolas would be crashing a book on the table in shock or on my head if I persisted.

I can't and mustn't create or damage your art.

I can only say that there are some choices one might explore and perhaps it fits in with your vision, perhaps such ideas could be an antithesis.

When you write, " I have taken shots here for 3 years and never really known if I was getting it right or not." this means what?

I'd ask, in all seriousness, if you don't know whether or not your vision and feelings are being made into your image by what you do, then how much harder this judgment would be for anyone else who has no idea of al the things you want to express.

If you knew what your wishes are and vision is (and you may have not had such self-revelation of any inner thoughts as of yet), then maybe you could start to articulate that to yourself on paper and think about it.

You have made hundreds of artistic decisions already.

I cannot know whether for example, the blue I'm seeing is anything approaching the true color of the water (unlikely) or your artistic design. Let's guess for a moment that you had no intention to arrive at that blue, then we might start exploring the area first since the whole image might look different (would for sure be different).

I can imagine someone deciding the water should be red or whatever. That is why I ask. I've been to many many exhibitions where the artist has invented his or her own palatte. This is very common. However, this is by intent. If this was not your intent, than that very accidental change might be preventing the expression you are seeking.

Each change intended or not introduces a new esthetic and can suppress all the feelings and reactions inherent in what captivates you in the first place and is the engine that drives you to keep returning to this subject.

Should this have been cropped, was it framed right or is it just worthless.

Being cropped v. being worthless is hardly a reasonable choice.

Only you can say if it is worthless, since only you have the one key to measure this image: your vision.

This part of making an image is indeed a huge struggle sometimes. Ansel Adams didn't just arrive take his picture, get it printed and then had his steak and beer!

Scouting the picture can take hours on several days. Return visits give now ideas. Just the appearance a particular cloud formation or some crows or an itinerant cow or worker or a row boat could make your inner ideas coalesce. Only then can you can grasp and understand how to express this on paper.

I make all these statements in all seriousness without any prejudgment, except to say don't be over self-critical and destroy something potentially beautiful.

You have, IMHO, the right, power and authority to do anything you like. Don't let a fool like me or anyone else tell you what you must do to get it right. All I can do is react or not, return to it or not, treasure it or not. The great thing is that you have already measured the picture against your expectations and it is so far unsatisfying. But why? Your not making a pretty post card or you are not expressing some feeling or idea. The former is the area we can all jump in to give ideas. The latter is more challenging.

This is a tough struggle for both you and for all of us who would like you help you achieve your vision.

I can say that the countryside is intriguing and has many photographic possibilities.

Maybe you could show this image uncorrected and some others taken at the same time with different views of the same area. Add a little more of your approach. Are you trying to say something? You don't need to in order to produce a worthy picture! However, you need to know yourself.

Did you decide on the colors?

Are there landscape features (a hut, road, tree, dock, pole and so forth, you have purposely excluded?

If you want it to express a particular feeling, then describe that.

I'm open to the idea that this is a struggle on a more basic level:

How do I develop an image file in Photoshop or other software?

How do I get a pretty postcard landscape picture?

If such are the questions, we can provide many suggestions and then Nicolas will not jump on me for interfering with someone's creativity, (as he indeed should if I did)!

One could ask the question, "How would anyone here approach making a stunning picture from what's to be seen in this location?"

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Asher Kelman said:
…This is where Nicolas would be crashing a book on the table in shock or on my head if I persisted.

If such are the questions, we can provide many suggestions and then Nicolas will not jump on me for interfering with someone's creativity, (as he indeed should if I did)!
Asher
Asher, my Dear Friend From SoCal
You misunderstand me, I do fully agree with all your comments above.
Why?
Because Ron asked for comments and did post his image for this purpose.
That said, your comments are full of respect, to the image and to its author. Plus they are really well targeted.
Knees on ground, hat down!
;-)

Ron Morse said:

Ron, a few observations.

First, since I don't know the location, it's hard to know it's possibilities.
Since photography has everything to do with light, I wonder how the scene presents itself with different light angles.

Given the situation as you captured it to go by, the rendering seems a bit oversaturated for my taste. You may also find that carrying a whitebalance tool, makes it easier to get a good starting point with nature scenes. I recognize the difficulty of capturing the sensation, and it then becomes too tempting, wanting to capture it all. You might instead try isolating certain areas, using a longer focal length.

With the crop as you made it, the bottom seems to crop something that might be interesting to include. For me, that sense of missing something is reduced if you just crop off all the sky, and a just enough from the bottom to avoid the water touching the left edge. That will get you a somewhat more panoramic aspect ratio, and the water comes in from the bottom of the image, which for me leads the eye a bit more into the image.

Bart

Ron Morse

First off I want to thank everyone for their help and interest.

For some reason, Although as I've said I've never got a picture here that I was satified with, I keep taking pictures here. I seem to be drawn here yet can't seem to convey what I see or to be able to put it into words.

For some reason the blue of the water is so blue that the first time I took a picture here I had just done a firmware upgrade to my camera and thought I messed it up. I ran the upgrade again with the same results. I intend to order the WhiBal for my white balance. I often use the kodac grey card but now read its not that good.

I agree it would be better if I was down on the level of the steam shooting and had thought that myself before. Unfortunately it is 60 feet down or so with a very steep bank lined with boulders and trees.

Here is the picture resized, 2 dust bunnies removed and converted to JPG nothing else so you can see the original.

dpp0053jd6.jpg

Here is a shot that I took a few miles from the last shot. I thought that the dirt road winding in and out of the forest was interesting. Maybe not to others though.

mg9796wu6.jpg

Maybe I should stick to what I know. Tropical fish and horse shows.

Ron Morse

Asher Kelman said:
Ron,

It appears that the others have attempted to answer a question, "How would anyone here approach making a stunning picture from what's to be seen in this location?"

However, that I think may not be what you are asking.

The image does not satisfy me either! However, there are a number of complex issues dealing with intent to express a vision (or not), produce a pretty landscape scene that one might see on a postcard, (or not) or whether you are struggling with how you look at your images or what you do to them!

It appears that the file has been processed a lot. It would be great for you to post one that is less altered, unless for artistic reasons you have decided on these colors I see.

The next thing is that I find nothing inherently wrong with the subject.

I find I must be a hunter, stalking my prey, to move here and there, choosing a vantage point until I'm master of the scene as I choose a particular viewpoint that excludes what doesn't belong and includes what I wish.

Here, I'd ask, what your intention is. I can't say the bottom if the picture shouldn’t be like that, as you have decided that the water is open and suddenly appears/disappears with no marker.

Now did you decide that?

This is where Nicolas would be crashing a book on the table in shock or on my head if I persisted.

I can't and mustn't create or damage your art.

I can only say that there are some choices one might explore and perhaps it fits in with your vision, perhaps such ideas could be an antithesis.

When you write, " I have taken shots here for 3 years and never really known if I was getting it right or not." this means what?

I'd ask, in all seriousness, if you don't know whether or not your vision and feelings are being made into your image by what you do, then how much harder this judgment would be for anyone else who has no idea of al the things you want to express.

If you knew what your wishes are and vision is (and you may have not had such self-revelation of any inner thoughts as of yet), then maybe you could start to articulate that to yourself on paper and think about it.

You have made hundreds of artistic decisions already.

I cannot know whether for example, the blue I'm seeing is anything approaching the true color of the water (unlikely) or your artistic design. Let's guess for a moment that you had no intention to arrive at that blue, then we might start exploring the area first since the whole image might look different (would for sure be different).

I can imagine someone deciding the water should be red or whatever. That is why I ask. I've been to many many exhibitions where the artist has invented his or her own palatte. This is very common. However, this is by intent. If this was not your intent, than that very accidental change might be preventing the expression you are seeking.

Each change intended or not introduces a new esthetic and can suppress all the feelings and reactions inherent in what captivates you in the first place and is the engine that drives you to keep returning to this subject.

Should this have been cropped, was it framed right or is it just worthless.

Being cropped v. being worthless is hardly a reasonable choice.

Only you can say if it is worthless, since only you have the one key to measure this image: your vision.

This part of making an image is indeed a huge struggle sometimes. Ansel Adams didn't just arrive take his picture, get it printed and then had his steak and beer!

Scouting the picture can take hours on several days. Return visits give now ideas. Just the appearance a particular cloud formation or some crows or an itinerant cow or worker or a row boat could make your inner ideas coalesce. Only then can you can grasp and understand how to express this on paper.

I make all these statements in all seriousness without any prejudgment, except to say don't be over self-critical and destroy something potentially beautiful.

You have, IMHO, the right, power and authority to do anything you like. Don't let a fool like me or anyone else tell you what you must do to get it right. All I can do is react or not, return to it or not, treasure it or not. The great thing is that you have already measured the picture against your expectations and it is so far unsatisfying. But why? Your not making a pretty post card or you are not expressing some feeling or idea. The former is the area we can all jump in to give ideas. The latter is more challenging.

This is a tough struggle for both you and for all of us who would like you help you achieve your vision.

I can say that the countryside is intriguing and has many photographic possibilities.

Maybe you could show this image uncorrected and some others taken at the same time with different views of the same area. Add a little more of your approach. Are you trying to say something? You don't need to in order to produce a worthy picture! However, you need to know yourself.

Did you decide on the colors?

Are there landscape features (a hut, road, tree, dock, pole and so forth, you have purposely excluded?

If you want it to express a particular feeling, then describe that.

I'm open to the idea that this is a struggle on a more basic level:

How do I develop an image file in Photoshop or other software?

How do I get a pretty postcard landscape picture?

One could ask the question, "How would anyone here approach making a stunning picture from what's to be seen in this location?"

Asher

Asher if I had a way of putting up the RAW I think that while I may not have it right the blue is truely a unique blue.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ron Morse said:
Asher if I had a way of putting up the RAW I think that while I may not have it right the blue is truely a unique blue.

http://www.yousendit.com will allow you to send it for free.

I'll resend it on to anyone who requests it.

put RON RAW LANDSCAPE in title please.

Then we'll see what tthe color might be.

BTW, what time of day was this picture taken?

Asher

Ron Morse

I will send it Asher.
The picture was taken early afternoon. Not sure of the time but it was a very bright day.

I have a way to send it. What is the address that I should send it to?

Ron Morse

I sent it but recieved this back from your end.

Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 12): 552 5.2.3 Message exceeds maximum fixed size (10485760)

Cem_Usakligil

Ron, Asher,

If you want, I can create a password protected ftp site solely for this purpose (login details to be PMed). Ron can then upload and you can download easily. Just trying to help :)

Cheers,

Cem

(just in case you want to accept my offer, I have sent you the login details for the ftp area per PM)

Ron Morse

Asher Kelman said:
BTW Ron,

w84u then mac dot com

Asher

Asher I sent you an invite to g-mail as I did to Don Cohen. You can send or recieve about anything that you can imagine throught it. And its free.

Scott B. Hughes

Ron Morse said:
I will send it Asher.
The picture was taken early afternoon. Not sure of the time but it was a very bright day.

What does the scene look like early morning or pre-sunset?

1PM tends to be boring, IMO.

Joel Slack

Without getting into the much more advanced and elegant aspects of photography that the much more advanced and elegant photographers here have quite eloquently addressed, I agree with this "quick and dirty" suggestion. Mid-afternoon is one of the worst times of the day for landscapes, and your sky is washed out to the point where the hills on the horizon are fuzzy and indistinct. I like to use a polarizer, but the advantage is lost if the sun is close to zenith.

Hazy, unshaped clouds are, as a general rule, fairly uninteresting and add little to a landscape unless you can incorporate them into a "moody" composition, but generally I don't even bother unless they are more dramatic or interesting. If the sky at the horizon is mushy and starts to blend in with the other elements of the photo, you aren't likely to get a compelling image, unless it's something else that adds mood (fog, rain, etc).

It does look like you have an eye for getting the major elements into frame without doing the snapshotty "horizon in the middle of the frame" thing, so you have the instincts! Don't give up! If I were you (and I AM you on many levels...), I'd get a book or take a class on composition. It really is critical to moving to the next level and (as Asher said) being the "master" of your scene.