• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Henri Cartier-Bresson

Gary Ayala

"'Manufactured' or staged photography does not concern me. And if I make a judgment, it can only be on a psychological or sociological level. There are those who take photographs arranged beforehand and those who go out to discover the image and seize it. For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity, the master of the instant which - in visual terms - questions and decides simultaneously. In order to "give a meaning" to the world, one has to feel oneself involved in what he frames through the viewfinder. This attitude requires concentration, a discipline of mind, sensitivity, and a sense of geometry. It is by great economy of means that one arrives at simplicity of expression. One must always take photos with the greatest respect for the subject and for oneself." -Henri Cartier-Bresson

An interesting quote I just ran across.

-Gary-

Tom Yi

Interesting, I think I mainly agree with him. However, I don't know if he is down playing those that take staged shots or simply saying that it's not his thing. I agree with him though. I like candid portrait vs. posed portraits, I like changing unpredictable shooting environments to a controlled environment of a studio.

But this is my personal preference and staged shooting/photography is an art form that I can also appreciate as well.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It all depends on the starting vision.

If it is to represent what you see and feel at a particular time in front of a scene or person that's one thing.

However, there's more to the human imagination, and some photographers might need to set things up to yield what they conceive.

All that matters, IMHO, is the artists vision and his choices in representing that vision.

Also, on the way, new visions might present themselves, and the artist will again make choices.

We see what is delivered and we either "get it" or we don't.

Asher

Gary Ayala

For Henri, I think he felt that there were enough photo ops to challenge him in the "everyday" world and he hadn't a need for artificial creations.

Others feel the need to create a photo op, from the ground up if you would, to satisfy their need/desire for expression.

Both are not mutually exclusive, one has to follow a course which is true to themselves.

Guy Tal

Editor at Large
You may want to note that his later writing reflects a somewhat different state of mind often ignored by most:

"All I care about these days is painting - photography has never been more than a way into painting, a sort of instant drawing."

Guy