• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Heron with an appetite

Ray West

Hi Asher,

We need more pictures that reveal to humans the basic facts of life.

Where? Here? or elsewhere, shrouded in warnings to the sensitive?

civilized and superior to animals, which we are not.

We are superior to animals, we have freedom of choice.

Further, by our own moral standards, we're the cruelest of all animals.

Whose moral standards? Who is cruel?

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ahah Ray!

The challenger raises his head to the man from the mountain! Well Ray, I don't think you disagree with me, but just want to take me on :)

Ray West said:
Where? Here? or elsewhere, shrouded in warnings to the sensitive?Ray

Here, where you are now! No further warning needed!

Ray West said:
We are superior to animals, we have freedom of choice.Ray

As do many other animals, such as Apes for example!

Ray West said:
Whose moral standards?

By which human culture's moral standards would killing all the fish by toxic waste be not immoral?

Ray West said:
Who is cruel?Ray

We are, to our own environments and to each other's civilian populations. Just look at the wars we make!

As I said, we need to re-calibrate people's brains about right and wrong, morality and immorality to cover the real value to humans of not destroying the thin fragile layer of life on our only current home, planet earth.

Anyway, back to the heron devouring the little rabbit, shocking as it might be, such truth might save us if we could think about the necessary dependence of life on life!

That is my take home message from that picture!

Asher

Last edited:

Ray West

Hi Asher,

Fortunately, I do disagree with you, on many points. It's what makes this place interesting. You never really thought it was anything to do with photography, surely, - that's just the bait.

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
There is great risk for swallowing more than one can chew!

1.jpg
© 2007 BBC News Photographer "The python tried to swallow the alligator whole and then exploded"

"An unusual clash between a 6-foot (1.8m) alligator and a 13-foot (3.9m) python has left two of the deadliest predators dead in Florida's swamps.
The Burmese python tried to swallow its fearsome rival whole but then exploded.

The remains of the two giant reptiles were found by astonished rangers in the Everglades National Park.

The rangers say the find suggests that non-native Burmese pythons might even challenge alligators' leading position in the food chain in the swamps.

Clearly, if they can kill an alligator they can kill other species
Prof Frank Mazzotti

The python's remains were found with the victim's tail protruding from its burst midsection. The head of the python was missing."
source.

Talk about diners regret!

Now where did the head go?

I wonder whether the dying 'gator's tail whipped it off and away into the swamp! Anyway, stupid alien Burmese Python, "Never fold over your alligator and please, make sure it's dead before gulping it down!

Oh, another thing, "shake, don't stir!"

Asher

Barry Johnston

Is it any different...

Is a Bald Eagle or a King Fisher swooping on an unsuspecting fish in a pond any different to this ? The fish also struggles to free itself from the huge talons that pierce its body, only to get ripped apart by this carnivore's huge beak while slowly drowning in the air but still alive. At least the Heron drowns the bunny before swallowing it whole.

The only reason for the extreme reaction here is because some of us have had these cuddly garden destroyers in our back yards as kids, and we have been conditioned with bunny toys with big floppy ears and Easter rabbits and of course Bugs Bunny. The same cannot be said for the dear fish my friends, and I sincerely doubt whether your reaction would be the same, in fact when we see such an image of a great bald eagle with a fish we are in awe.

Barry.