• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Home made egg crate grids

Tim Armes

Hi,

I'd like to make my own egg crate grid for my softbox. Does anyone know of any site that show you how to do it? I see two problems:

1) How to calculate the spacing and depth of the materiel in relation to the desired angle
2) How to sew it all together

Thanks,

Tim

Boris_Epix

Not hard at all.

Personally I wouldn't even start with fabric... it takes you just too much time. I personally use the egg crate grids that come from profoto. It's almost funny how expensive they are (more expensive than the softboxes) but at least they don't look improvised.

But now to what you could do to get quickly and cheap to a homemade grid.

GET CARDBOARD - I guess you already have the solution now :)

I've seen that at a friends studio. He just cut it into like long 2 inch stripes and then every 2 inch he would cut it in an inch. After you have a couple of those stripes you can stick them together in a grid pattern. I hope this makes sense to you so far. After you're done with that take matte black paint and give it a nice black finish.

Cheers

Boris

Tim Armes

Hi Boris,

Card board is a solution, but it's likely to get torn or otherwise damaged, and it's not very portable.

Tim