• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Technical Question How to reproduce Snapseed’s “Ambience” adjustment in full size image processing software like Photoshop, LR, Topaz, On One, CPture One or others?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The under $5.00 Snapseed phone App is amazing in allowing effective image editing with simple finger swipes.

One filter it has, “Ambience” is akin to some combination of Adobe’s “Clarity”, “Structure” and “Shadow-Highlight” adjustments and is very powerful to bring out major changes in balance of elements as to which is now important!

As an example, here’s a snap of a plant taken with an iPhone and adjust first with contrast, brightness and shadow.

...and now with the Snapseed filter “Ambience”

Asher Kelman

Now with out of the camera snap of a rock

...and with adjustment only by Snapseed “Ambience”

You may have far better examples yourself for showing off the value of “Ambience”.

Anyone also like this filter and tries to emulate it?

Asher

Asher Kelman

...and a person:

Just Cropped!

“Ambience”

I didn’t make further adjustments such as brightness and contrasts, but you can see that the face is opened up here and saturation was apparently increased and it has more clarity/structure! I think she has more “presence” and importance!
Please play with this filter and share how it might be working with reference to the available adjustments in standard photo processing software.

Does it also work in part, like Capture One can, in making complexion more uniform in the face?

Asher

Asher Kelman

1. Out of camera pano cropped:

Note that the right 1/3 of the lawn is lifted out of shadow by the iPhone built in software! I will investigate that oddity by getting RAW files from the iPhone with another app and processing the images myself. But then these “RAW” files might still be cooked already!

2. Using only Snapseed “Ambience”

.....and now

3. adjusting brights shadows and pulling back on saturation!

Asher Kelman: Sunset 90210

To me it’s punchy like Kodachrome II Transparencies of old

Asher