• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hundred Island Nature Park

James Yu

4767037663_4062071ecc_b.jpg

Situated in Alaminos, Pangasinan, Hundred Islands is a gem waiting to be discovered. Choose among it's many facets. Soak in the sunshine on the white sand beaches of Quezon Island. Frolic in the shallow waters of Children's Island. Hire a boat and go island-hopping. Explore the abundant marine life beneath the waters of Lingayen Gulf. Hike through caves and across island trails and discover interesting rock formations.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Situated in Alaminos, Pangasinan, Hundred Islands is a gem waiting to be discovered. Choose among it's many facets. Soak in the sunshine on the white sand beaches of Quezon Island. Frolic in the shallow waters of Children's Island. Hire a boat and go island-hopping. Explore the abundant marine life beneath the waters of Lingayen Gulf. Hike through caves and across island trails and discover interesting rock formations.

4767037663_4062071ecc_b.jpg

James Yu: Hundred Island Nature Park

James,

You have found a great spot for a fascinating panorama of an island and 3 smaller siblings with a wide expanse of the most blue water. As a special treat we have two native boats which are colorful and a delight.

I wonder why the horizon is not straight? Is this stitched. Usually there are methods for straightening it. Or am I imagining that? You might consider cloning the extraneous material intruding on the left edge. Have you the file in RAw format. You perhaps might have already recovered the sky, but if not, likely to can get a lot of dynamic shading and drama with special focus on the sky in a separate layer.

One thing I notice is that, within this composition one can find separate new pictures that can stand on their own. The islands without the boat and the sky cropped to remove most of it and boats gone. The right half of the picture having the boats more important and delivering a picture that's stronger.

No doubt you have many more shots from this trip. I hope you might share them and also see what treasures there are within these larger views. I always am asking for what's next to what we see. Here I ponder the best presentation for such a seemingly simple, but I believe might be a compound and complex image. best delivered in sections. One way might be to make a triptych or else a set of squares with spaces of white separating an array that can be looked at in any combination.

Asher

Dwayne Oakes

Beautiful spot and I agree with Asher on the cc, here are the technical fixes.

tweak

-level/straightened the photo

-added some lens distortion control to fix a bit of the lens barrel or pano sticth (still some at
the right of the photo as the software correction can only do so much)

-recropped the photo so it is not so busy

-healed in some clouds in the clipped sky area in the top right

-added a tad of selective color saturation to just the boats color stripes

Thanks for posting

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

p477572909-4.jpg

james yu 2010

Last edited:

Dwayne Oakes

Great work james ! This is your best one !

good

-everything is right on just a tad under on the exposure

nit

-photo is a tad underexposed making the FG to dark (due to light meter being tricked by the bright sky)

-lens flare could be healed out in the bottom left

tweak

-moved the whitepoint slider in levels as there is a little dip in the histogram with a little
room left

-I lightened (dodge) the FG bushes this will improve the overall exposure or you could
move the midtone slider in levels

-lightened (dodge) the inside light coming off the islands, this will help the exposure

-lightened (dodge) the cool light coming off the inlet water in the far left of the photo

-darkened (brun) the two top corners to the already natural vignette from the stitch

-healed out the lens flare in the botton left

-added a tad of global USM (sharpening) to get over the AA filter

Thanks for posting.

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

before
p1057916128-4.jpg

after
p661290970-4.jpg