• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Technical Question Insects on Flowering Plants!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This plant, thought lost from Israeli countryside has been discovered after recent heavy rains.

Anyone recognize this large insect visiting

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
They provide the sound of summer.
As the weather warms the nymphs rise from the ground in their millions.
They climb the nearest tree and pupate, leaving the ghosts behind which become toys for children.

41CCCCFA-6255-4CD5-89EF-6984A716A58D.jpeg

The adults spend their short life eating and having sex, lay eggs in the soil and die.
In 7 years the cycle will start again.

No child in Australia would have missed the opportunity to be woken with the din of a gum try full of cicadas, collect the ghosts and wonder where the hell did they come from.

Asher Kelman

Sa this on a cactus in Southern California:

Asher Kelman: Yellow Visitor
What kind of wasp is this or is it a bee? I think it’s the latter as the shape of the black bands on abdomen are very regular, whereas in wasps they are patterned.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks, Tom!

Your fellow has perfect pollen-catching hair’s diagnostic of bees! 🐝🐝

One expects the wings are usually flat on its back when it rests.

I couldn’t see the hairs on mine and the blighter was buzzing it's wings in a flurry!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Have a read on Aussie bees.
Most fascinating.

Jerome Marot

One expects the wings are usually flat on its back when it rests.

Indeed. This picture has several puzzling details: the position of the wings and middle legs, presence of what appears to be pollen between thorax and abdomen and colour of the abdomen bands.

As to "bees", in general, there are several hundreds of species in Europe alone, most of which solitary.

Asher Kelman

Indeed. This picture has several puzzling details: the position of the wings and middle legs, presence of what appears to be pollen between thorax and abdomen and colour of the abdomen bands......

So, Jérôme,

You are referring to the Aussie bee or mine from Beverly Hills, CA

😂

Asher

Asher Kelman

This was with my Canon 6D and a 50mm 1.2 L before the body was taken when I was shopping and distracted!

6010A1DE-7141-44BC-8D4E-967506430F97.jpeg

Asher Kelman: “Nature’s Magic“
Canon 6D ISO 180 1/640 f3.5

I hope more will follow! We depend on these busy critters!

Asher