• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photographic Gems of Our Times From The Web Instagram

Jerome Marot

I like to check on new photographers, see what kind of images are fashionable today and sometimes get new ideas. I used to post some of my findings in this forum under the prefix "photographic gems of our times from the web".

In the past months, I have not been able to find images but as Instagram links. It seems that this particular website has a de facto monopoly on the action.

I have several problems with Instagram:
  • I live in Europe, so the GDPR applies. Instagram informs me that I should accept their cookies, including fingerprinting of my computer (which effectively amounts to a cookie I cannot delete). There is no option to reject or object.
  • if I ever accept the policy, I still can only see a single page of photographs before being told to register or go away.
  • sometimes (not always, but I have not found out why), I can only see that single page and any subsequent attempts will tell me to register or go away.
  • on a smartphone (iOS), Instagram will cover half the screen with nagging messages to install the app.
  • Instagram has deactivated the possibility to embed their posts on other sites. If another site refers to interesting photographers, all I can see are grey frames with the demand to connect to Instagram. I suppose that people who are connected to an account still see the embedded picture and therefore may not even notice the problem. That behaviour depends on the kind of device used, embedded posts still show on an iPhone (but not on an iPad).
As a consequence, I will not link to Instagram on this forum, as this would effectively require the readers of my posts to register for that service to be able to see the pictures. Unfortunately and because Instagram appears to have a de-facto monopoly, that means I will stop to post under the prefix "photographic gems of our times from the web".

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Jerome, I understand your feeling, but one have to understand that Instagram (+Facebook, Linkedin and others) are held by private companies with their own rules that you will have to accept before registering…
(Upon your experience) It is Instagram policy to restrict access to non members
So if for any reason you don't like that, just don't use them! Nobody is forced…
It's like a restaurant (when they'll be opened again ;-) ), if you don't like the service and/or the food served, you won't come back.
Just like in OPF, one have to register with his/her real name, otherwise one'll be kicked off! (After a kind and polite email request from Asher)

Writing this is not de defend Instagram, it's just an observation of respect and acceptance of rules in a "private" area

Jerome Marot

??? This is exactly what I wrote, Nicolas. I don't like Instagram policies so I am not using their website.

The consequence is, obviously, that I will not post Instagram links, either here or anywhere else. I cannot post what I cannot see.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
??? This is exactly what I wrote, Nicolas. I don't like Instagram policies so I am not using their website.

The consequence is, obviously, that I will not post Instagram links, either here or anywhere else. I cannot post what I cannot see.
Well, fair enough, it's your choice which I understand and respect!

Cem_Usakligil

I understand exactly what you're saying Jerome and I agree. I was weak myself and I've eventually opened an IG account some years ago. They have a very irritating policy of hiding photos from unregistered visitors as you've explained.

Jerome Marot

This, and we should also not forget that their parent company introduced their policies in 2014 so that users need to pay for them to show their posts beyond a very limited number of readers.