• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Interesting Firmware hack for Canon P&S cameras

Yes! I HAVE used it!

I currently use it on my Canon S3 IS. It works as advertised. The one issue I've had it that for some reason the first picture I take after turning the camera doesn't have the proper time/date stamp in the file. This causes organizational issues, but the picture, once found, is not corrupted.

I can dig around and list the suite of software that I use to accomplish the raw conversion and rendering... did you have any specific questions about it?

Jörgen Nyberg

Yes, I´ve tried it in my PS2IS, but getting some good results, out of the raw´s, was no walk in the park.

Ron, if I remeber correctly, it started with a russian guy (can´t remeber his name), who goes under the DP nick "GrAnd".
He reverse enginered the firmware in a PS620, and started to try and add features he thought was missing, and posted it on DPrewiev. It turned out that the FW, in all PS-cameras that has Digic 2, was fairly similar, so it soon was availlable for almost all PS cameras with Digic 2.

It works by having the hack on a SD-card, and temporarily replacing the inbuilt FW. Load it and you have the hack, don´t load it, and you have the original FW. Can´t go wrong, really ;)

A short roun down of features (straight from the wiki):

Save images in RAW format
Ability to run "Scripts" to automate the camera
Live histogram (RGB, blended, luminance and for each RGB channel)
Zebra mode (blinking highlights and shadows to show over/under exposed areas)
An "always on" full range Battery indicator
Ability to turn off automatic dark-frame subtraction
A higher compression movie mode, and double the maximum video file size
Exposure times as long as 65 seconds
Exposure times as little as 1/10,000 of a second
Ability to use the USB port for a remote trigger input
A depth-of-field (DOF)-calculator
File browser
Text reader
Calendar
Some fun tools and games

Wiki-link: CHDK

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jörgen and Ed,

How does one use the files? Could one of you write some instructions for those who are used to graphic interfaces? Or maybe it's really quite straightforward? Is it platform independant?

Asher

Jörgen Nyberg

Yep, it´s pretty straightforward to use. Anyone interested, shuold read the FAQ, on the Wiki, it explains how to get started (get the hack in the camera), and some example programs for using raw.

The only real platform difference (methinks), is the availlability of Rawconveters.
Maybe Ed has a better overview, of the different programs availlable?

And I would like to hear how Ed does, and what programs he uses, since I found it cumbersome working with raws. Didn´t really get anything more, then with jpg´s straight out of the camera.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I've been using it for about 4 months on a A710 IS. The features are extremely useful especially live histogram with both highlight and shadow blinkies and a histogram/blinkies review like on the DSLR's. I shoot RAW exclusively but be warned that as no program has a calibration file for the camera, getting the RAW's right is an uphill struggle, you are literally starting from scratch, worth it though...

Ben,

Do you use the DNG for Powershot converter? Perhaps the (what I assume to be) default color profile isn't exact for all cameras, but it didn't seem like the colors were like "starting from scratch".

The tool can be downloaded here: http://www.zshare.net/download/15980803526d8c/

I just keep the DNG for Powershot icon on my desktop then drag and drop my CR2 files onto it. I then delete my cr2 files.

Here's a good blog about the process: http://unclelim.wordpress.com/2007/05/17/canon-powershot-s3-is-raw-winning-combo/

The live histogram is cool (and useful :), I agree!

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
All the colours come out as default very blue in the DNG's, the contrast and saturation need a serious boost and I need a custom curve. I've never used the EXIF export tool, I'm trying it now to see if it makes any difference.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Been playing with the newest 'Allbest' version of the hack.

On my A710 IS I now also get hyperfocal/infinity focus at hte touch of (a couple of) buttons, readout of subject distance and DOF near to far plus hyperfocal distance based on aperture and focal length, Auto ISO with user customisable low-high iso's and minimum shutter speed (just like on the Nikon DSLR's), 1.5 second RAW write times and a whole bunch more stuff. Absolutely incredible for a camera I paid £135 for new.

I can't think of a single production p&s camera that gives anywhere near the versatility as these hacked cameras do, not by a long stretch. I'm thinking of upgrading to a G7 for a camera that will beat the G9 into the ground at a fraction of the cost. Hell, I wish my 5D had some of these features!

chassidi.jpg

5 Chassidic children look out of a bus on the road from Jerusalem.​

A710 IS, ISO 600 1/25 @ f3.5, good enough for web, not sure if it's just too noisy for print!

Last edited: