• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
The ISS tonight above our head in Bordeaux
At 22:28:49 French Time
Iphonerie
🙂

ISS_IMG_4415.jpg

Robert Watcher

Cloudy here tonight, plus low maximum height of 41°.

Better chance tomorrow night in my part of the world if it is clearer and I don’t forget. Almost an hour earlier at 9:50pm, 4 minutes viewing time with maximum height of 71°.

Thanks for the reminder.

nicolas claris

Cloudy here tonight, plus low maximum height of 41°.

Better chance tomorrow night in my part of the world if it is clearer and I don’t forget. Almost an hour earlier at 9:50pm, 4 minutes viewing time with maximum height of 71°.

Thanks for the reminder.
You may set your smartphone or ipad alarm clock! So you won't forget ;)
But I warn you, these guys are flying really fast! don't be late…

I have been lucky enough that sky was clear (no cloud) and that it was early enough so there were no stars to pollute the scene ;) But not to early so that the sky was not too bright…
When they passed a few seconds earlier it was almost zenithal

PS FYI we used the free app ISS Finder on our iPad to track it

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Interesting that we in the West Coast see it North West to North East. That opposte from views in France and Germany.

Today we will see it first for a minute then for 3 minutes. I guess the intervening blackout is due to cloud coverage!

Asher

nicolas claris

Interesting that we in the West Coast see it North West to North East. That opposte from views in France and Germany.

Today we will see it first for a minute then for 3 minutes. I guess the intervening blackout is due to cloud coverage!

Asher
Exactly, we saw it appearing at North West with a course to South East

Robert Watcher

I used the website https://spottyestation.nasa.gov to find out the times.

Just downloaded the app. Kind of cool with the built in compass. Thanks Nicolas.

Another tool to understand orbits - https://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/Tools/orbitTutorial.htm

Asher

The intervening blackout is likely to be the next orbit of the ISS, being the time gap is roughly 90 minutes which is approx how often the station orbits the earth.

As for the location of where it comes into view and leaves - each night it can be different based on the website

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

Here is some inspiration for tonight. Right now the skies are clear, but calling for cloud and possible rain after 8:00pm - so probably not. But the conditions are right for the ISS viewing in Ontario as well as having a Waxing Gibbous Moon phase tonight (76.4%). I have a 600mm focal length but not a 2x converter.

If it is clear, I may set up one camera with wide angle lens on tripod, for long steak across the sky using Live Composite. And a second camera with 600mm lens handheld to try this view - and align layers in PS after.

If not possible to shoot, this pic gives me something to plan ahead for. Very cool. And hopefully gives others here some ideas for tonight.

A51C2D91-C559-4CCA-88A6-3C7B9F33978B.jpeg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Crisp picture of the moon. Remember, each one of those pretty craters is a devastating meteor collision!

Asher