• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

It’s wonderful shooting from the sidelines

Robert Watcher

Anne and I had the special privilege of experiencing the wedding of our grandson Mason, to Elise - this past Friday evening.

A pro photographer was hired to capture the events of the day as well as formal portraits. So I got to just sit back and grab a few snapshots, without being a spectacle or centre of attention as a photographer. It turned out that Elise’s grandfather from Newfoundland has also been a professional photographer for years. Terry and I got along great and spent time talking shop during the reception. It was strange to see him with an Olympus camera in hand - same brand that I have been shooting for years.

My modus operandi was to simply grab shots that would be taken from my seated vantage point during the ceremony, and discreetly from the sidelines during the reception. I took one camera body fitted with one small kit zoom lens (equivalent of 28-84mm). For most of the shots I set the camera to the Grainy Black and White Art filter. While I wanted to take one of my smaller bodies that I use for street photography in Central America —- I decided on the slightly larger and heavier E-M1 pro body so that I could take pictures the whole evening, with a totally silent shutter.

Late in the evening as the party was in full swing, I grabbed my tripod out of the trunk and walked to the far corner if the venue, to use it as a backdrop for writing Mason & Elise in the air. It’s crude writing, but I’ve had a lot of fun doing it in front of monumental places I’ve visited. I get best results by using the unique feature in Olympus cameras, called Live Composite. The shutter stays open, only adding new light sources, without building up light in mid and shadow tones. I use the Torch on my iPhone - walk out in front of the scene about 20 feet or so away from the lens —- and start writing out the letters backwards.

3F71424F-B54E-4D20-93B0-270305022081.jpeg

I still find it amazing, that I cannot be seen as I stand there writing a letter, put my finger over the light to block it, then take a step sideways and do the next letter until done. And in this case, I had a bright white shirt on. It took me 5 tries to get one that was good enough. 3 captures I either spelled the S’s backwards, or the N’s. when I finally got the motion in my head to get the letters right, I went back to the camera to find out that the final E was not in the frame. One more attempt did it 😂

Robert Watcher

Specially treated guests were the 4 Great Grandparents who made the effort to be there.

Anne and her 94 year old mother. My brother and his wife brought my 87 year old parents. A great grandmother on Elise’s side was also in attendance.

Anne was insistent on getting a picture of her and I all dressed up, so I handed my camera to a guest that was hanging around outside the venue, and she took this nice shot for us. 👍🏻

IMG_0246.jpeg

IMG_0245.jpeg

IMG_0252.jpeg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This shot is extraordinary not only for the filter used, but also for the choice of a location where Mason and Elise could own the dance floor and everyone else could shower them with affection, pride and good wishes from above!

657BFCA1-9D1C-42D1-88D4-50EE8B85B90F.jpeg

This is the time where we all hope, pray and press our willpower that the marriage will blossom and grow and they they too will enjoy together a full life of warmth, devotion, happiness, fulfillment and achievement without the disasters and tragedies that befall so many others.

This and the wedding album for the mothers of the couple are the only two reasons for a big wedding!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
BTW, any more shots of those exceptional beautiful bridesmaids! They could have been hired from an agency they are so fine!

Asher

Robert Watcher

BTW, any more shots of those exceptional beautiful bridesmaids! They could have been hired from an agency they are so fine!

Asher
Thank you Asher. Anne and I are hoping for the best for Mason & Elise as well.

I didn’t take many shots of individuals and don’t know the bridesmaids - except for one. The beautiful blonde maid-of-honour, is Mason’s sister Reegan (our granddaughter). I imagine we will be attending another family wedding in the next year, for Reeg & Jackson.

IMG_0257.jpeg

IMG_0258.jpeg